• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creating a Cherry Hazelnut tart recipe

JeanneCake

I'm tired of the pecan, pecan-cranberry, cranberry-walnut tart varieties I've been making over the past 10 years. I want to do a cherry and hazelnut version - but not a chocolate/cherry/hazelnut (that would be too easy. Chocolate ganache, dried cherries, hazelnuts. Where's the challenge?!).

I haven't started to experiment yet, but I am thinking of the filling along the lines of my favorite cranberry walnut tart from Epicurious and the pecan tart in RLB's Pie and Pastry Bible - some sugar (light brown?), some sort of syrup (Lyle's Golden?), eggs and or yolks, some cinnamon, pinch of salt, some butter maybe some heavy cream; cook this and pour over the dried cherries and chopped hazelnuts, and bake.

Anybody tried something like this before? I didn't find much in the way of existing online recipes so I'm wondering if this is a bad idea to begin with....

Hmmm...instead of going with something like a pecan pie-type base, I'd make a frangipane-type filling with hazelnuts and add the cherries to that. I bet it would be delicious. And you could sub out dried apricots, and swap pistachios for the hazelnuts as a variation...I may have to do some experimenting myself!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

yes, cardamom will be better!

I have several recipes for "nut cream" that I've made with almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts and I hadn't even considered making it with hazelnuts and adding the cherries to it; and apricots and pistachio sound almost better than the hazelnut/cherry!