• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift ideas?

amccomb

Hello!

I was hoping you could help me with some anniversary gift ideas for my husband. I have a budget of about $100 and I live in a state that is difficult to mail order alcohol to.

I did manage to get some bitters:

http://the-bitter-truth.com/bitter/bitters-travel-pack/

And I was thinking of getting a spherical ice cube mold...

Any other ideas? Maybe some specialty glasses? In the past I have gotten port glasses and whiskey glasses, subscriptions to wine or beer of the month clubs from a local shop...once I managed to get some Vya vermouth shipped from a friend.

Thanks!

It's a little hard to be helpful without knowing a lot more about your husband, what he likes, what he knows, and what he already has. For example, someone with an interest in exploring new cocktails might like a book or two -- either classics for the novice or exotic books for the experienced. Is he missing any key bartending tools, such as a boston shaker, barspoon, measure (jigger or maybe 2oz OXO measuring cup), and juicer? Maybe a channel knife, dedicated cutting board, and vegetable peeler?

Alcohol that he can't find locally and covets would probably be most welcome. You'd have to know what he's interested in and have a friend ship it to you. You also risk loosing it in transit since UPS and USPS won't knowing ship alcohol into a state which forbids it.

Is he into tiki drinks? Then maybe some vintage tiki glasses from a thrift store? Some folks like collecting coupes (the wide old-fashioned-looking "champagne" glasses, but smaller) from antique stores. Hope this helps....

If you tell me something about him, I'd also be willing to load up an account in his name at Kindred Cocktails with some interesting cocktails.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Hmm....he has all of the basic bar tools, and he has a Mr. Boston book, but other book ideas would be welcome!

He is really into rye right now - cocktails with rye whiskey, even rye beer. Hmm...years ago we had a cocktail at Trio with Vya vermouth and a white port and some toasted thai long peppercorns, and I tracked down the ingredients for that and he loved it, but we haven't had anything like that in awhile. Maybe some quality vermouth? One cocktail he loves has rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, maybe grand marnier and lime...

Does this help at all? :)

I have some of the cheap plastic Japanese 2-part sphere molds and have only had limited success with them. The ones I have are the type that you fill one side an then quickly place the top on it, hopefully forcing water from a ledge inside up into the top of the sphere. They are messy to use, and I often only get one somewhat complete sphere out of a mold that's supposed to make 4. If my budget would allow, I'd love to have one of the heat-press type, like THIS.

The little 4 oz. Tupperware containers make a not perfectly spherical, but perfect for a rocks glass ice mold. They're easily found, sometimes even at the thrift store, and work like a charm for spirits "on the rock".

When I give "spirited" gifts I usually buy a high quality bottle of the recipients favorite spirit, and a set of two or more appropriate glasses to drink it from. I always look for vintage glasses at the thrift store if possible. So much nicer than brand spanking new and there's something about glasses that have a story, even if you don't know what the story is. Aged rum or cognac with a nice set of snifters, or good whiskey with proper whiskey glasses. If the person is into cocktails, then I find a vintage shaker on eBay and one or more good basic cocktail books.

A subscription to Imbibe magazine is usually a welcome gift for the drinker.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol