• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blanc Vermouth

Yojimbo

Cross-referencing a few excellent drinks with white vermouth, from other threads.

The Manhattan Bianco (Jason Wilson)

1 1/2 ounces bourbon

1 1/2 ounces white vermouth

Lemon peel twist, for garnish

6894649813_9f31e44f5a_z.jpg

The Astoria Vecchio (Jason Wilson)

2 1/2 ounces genever

1 ounce white vermouth

2 dashes orange bitters

Twist of orange peel, for garnish

6894661181_91711b9bd0_z.jpg

The Astoria Bianco (Jim Mehan)

2.5 oz gin

1 oz white vermouth

2 dashes orange bitters

Orange twist

7037296309_aa5645b515_z.jpg

Am thinking of investing in a bottle of dolin blanc. Any idea how long it lasts once opened? I am assuming since it's a wine base it needs to be refrigerated after opening?

I opened my bottle a few months ago and it's still fine. I keep it in the fridge.

• 11 months later...

Tonight I made a blanc vermouth variant of the Daiquiri (or Floridita) that I thought employed the Dolin Blanc well:

Garcini Daiquiri

2 oz El Dorado 3 year white rum

1 oz Dolin Blanc vermouth

1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino

1/2 oz lime juice

1/2 oz pineapple juice

Shake, serve in old fashioned glass.

The ED3 and Dolin Blanc seem made for each other.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 2 weeks later...

Something for my new menu that remains unnamed at the moment:

(insert name here)

2 oz Dolin Blanc

1 oz Corsair Gin Head Gin

1/4 oz Damiana

1/4 oz Lemon juice

2-3 dashes Fee's Rhubarb Ritters

served up with a rose water rinse and lemon zest

• 10 months later...

Cocchi Americano or Lillet Blanc, though they're imperfect substitutes—the Cocchi bitterer and more assertive, the Lillet sweeter and less herbal.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Cocchi Americano or Lillet Blanc, though they're imperfect substitutes—the Cocchi bitterer and more assertive, the Lillet sweeter and less herbal.

Damn. Don't have either of those. Would a 1:1 mix of Noilly Prat Dry and Punt e Mes be a disaster in this drink?

Very possibly! A mix of dry vermouth and simple would be closer, but Punt + dry vermouth sounds like it could be compellingly disastrous, and I therefore now command you to try that and report back.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Very possibly! A mix of dry vermouth and simple would be closer, but Punt + dry vermouth sounds like it could be compellingly disastrous, and I therefore now command you to try that and report back.

If this works could it please be called Compellingly Disastrous? That is a dynamite name for a cocktail.

• Like 1

Rafa, I've never met you and yet I found myself compelled to follow your command. The results:

By no means disastrous, and actually quite delicious. It didn't taste that far from a negroni, which is not a bad thing at all, but the Fernet may have gotten lost. Admittedly, I'm not at all good at picking out individual flavor profiles.

• Like 1

Well that doesn't sound disastrous at all. I'll have to try it that way. Mhdousa, I still recommend making the original when you can—it's fantastic. And Czequershuus, I think we'll have to save that name for another drink.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Since drinks with dry and sweet vermouths are usually called "perfect", why not a "Perfect Disaster" or a "Perfectly Dismal Day"?

• Like 2

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban