• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good comments from wait staff

Mano

After years of the perfunctory, "How is everything?" a waiter asked, "Is everything prepared to your satisfaction?" For some reason I really liked that, maybe because he appeared sincere and looked at all the people at the table. It took no more than 15 seconds.

Any others?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

After years of the perfunctory, "How is everything?" a waiter asked, "Is everything prepared to your satisfaction?" For some reason I really liked that, maybe because he appeared sincere and looked at all the people at the table. It took no more than 15 seconds.

Any others?

When i'm serving, I usually go with what i'd like someone to say to me, the above would just annoy me. It almost sounds sarcastic, though i'm sure tone has a big effect on it. Personally I don't mind "is everything OK?" but I know that some people feel as if OK shouldn't be what we want, rather great or excellent.

A decent sense of humour goes a long way. Taking an interest is a good thing too, especially when dining alone. A waiter in Chicago took the liberty of realising I was visiting without me telling him, then took out his iphone and showed me via map a few places I should have a look at while in town. He was well rewarded with his tip.

James.

A decent sense of humour goes a long way. . . .

Definitely. I was thinking about this on a recent flight, when the plane hit some impressive turbulence as the beverage service got under way: The person sitting on the aisle in my row was clutching the seat rests, and generally looking tense, when the flight attendant looked at him, smiled, and said 'Hi! May I spill hot beverage for you?'. The passenger laughed, and relaxed visibly. If this had been a tipping situation, I think he'd have tipped well for that alone (this seems sort of relevant, since the the flight attendant was functioning as a server at that moment).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 2 weeks later...