• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: nolnacs (2011) - Pork, peaches and pie. Saying goodbye to

nolnacs

There's tons of great foodstuffs here and markets to purchase them. nolnacs is doing a great job showing off our fine city, but you haven't seen the Polish market, Russian market or Middle Eastern market yet. One week isn't really enough time to properly showcase all the great stuff we have at our disposal. It's an embarrassment of riches, I tell you. We're very fortunate.

There's a middle eastern market? I must admit that in my two years in Philadelphia I have only rarely ventured out of center city and the immediate surroundings... :blush:

The Middle Eastern Market is Bitar's at the corner of 10th & Federal, just southwest of the Italian Market. There's also a little luncheonette in the back. Best grilled felafel ever! Not greasy because it hasn't been fried. Big fan of their vegetarian platter too. The hummos, baba ghanoush and stuffed grape leaves are all available in the little market up front. Lots of Middle Eastern products and great fresh pita bread. You should check it out. The Polish market (Krakus) is in Port Richmond and the Russian market (Bell's Market) is in the far Northeast. I'll let you know next time I'm going if you'd like to join me.

Thanks for the great blog this week! You've done us PhilleGulleteers proud! I didn't even know about the tortilleria! Awesome to find out about somewhere new so close to home. Great work, my friend. Well done.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for taking us along on your culinary adventures this week! Now if I meander thataway for the Heartland Gathering I'll know how to plan my meals : )

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown