• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Still looking for sous vide eggs with whites set. My tests with pics

jaymer

I go low tech here: I have a thin string on which I've done 14, 15, 16 and 17 cm marks. Measuring circunference with it is fast, measures between the marks are approximated but that has turned good enough for me.

One question: the 75ºC fast method does not pasteurize to core, does it? Should an egg be infected inside with salmonella, I understand the core is not kept long enough to a high enough temperature to have a 6.5 log reduction?

According to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_%28food%29#Contamination 1 in 30'000 eggs is contaminated with Salmonellae.

D[140°F (60°C)] = 1.73 minutes or 5D[140°F (60°C)] = 8.7 minutes according to FOOD PATHOGEN CONTROL DATA SUMMARY.

Looking at egullet.org/p1802400 you see that the yolk may not be safely pasteurized with the 75°C fast method when going for 64°C core temperature.

You can pasteurize eggs by placing in a 57°C water bath for at least 75 minutes according to Douglas Baldwin's guide.

So if you want or have to go the safe way, pasteurize all your eggs immediately and then store in the fridge until used.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

Thanks for your answer Pedro. I know this is an extremelly unlikely event, and when I needed it (e.g. when my wife was pregnant) I did pasteurize the eggs in-shell in the water bath (Modernist Cuisine also proposes 2 hours at 55ºC), though I don't do it normally.

The question was because I like to state food safety details of every new sous-vide recipe I propose on my blog, and I just wanted to double-check my understanding of the 75ºC-egg case before publishing a post.

• 2 years later...