• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smithfield Ham

Jim Dixon

I much prefer a "city" honey ham over a Smithfield ham. It's still a bit salty on it's own for my taste. It's great mixed in dishes or eaten with lots of rice or fresh biscuits, but I can't eat it alone. There's half a leg left that I'm going to bone, cut into smaller pieces and toss in the freezer.

A propos of almost nothing, I notice that most of the butcher shops in NY’s Chinatown prominently feature Smithfield hams. Actually, what I see are cured shoulders in white fabric bags proudly labeled “Smithfield.” They generally hang in the shop and are not in a refrigerated case. Of course they could be dummy displays. I’ve never seen anyone buying a whole ham, or shoulder, and I assume they are cut up and prepared/sessoned and then sold as the pieces of cured meat I often see in cryovac wrappings.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Malarkey...on this I'll take my cue from the Italians. We stayed at an agriturismo in Friuli and the owner kept his prosciutti (and he made them himself) sitting out from the day he cut into one until the bone was ready for the soup pot. Besides, the thing won't fit in the 'fridge.

well there ya go then. I expect that the salt content pretty much assures that it won't go bad. its just my own paranoia that makes me want to put meat in the fridge.

Born Free, Now Expensive

They generally hang in the shop and are not in a refrigerated case. Of course they could be dummy displays.

Down here in Virginia, you can buy a Smithfield ham, day or night, at the 24-hour supermarkets, for all your heavily salted cured ham needs. These hams do just hang out in room temperature, on carts, along side sealed plastic packages of ham slices, fatback, and other cured pork products.

For those of you who think that Smithfield hams are too, too salty, you might want to investigate a sugar cured ham...

(And I have to say, those photos look positively lurid.)

At the Ft Meyers Publix where I got mine the hams (and some Smithfield bacon, which we ate long ago) were piled on a table.

As of today (1/2), I'd guess we're about halfway through the ham. Buried in the utensil drawer (not in the knife rack) I found a long thin slicing knife I'd picked up at a garage sale. A bit of sharpening and it's working nicely for slicing the beast.

Yesterday made a nice omelet with the ham and some Bandon extra sharp cheddar. We've also been eating a sort of Italianesque ham biscuit...slices of ham on ciabatta drizzled with olive oil.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

That all sounds wonderful, Jim.

I just hope your taste for ham is not tarred by the sheer volume of ham meals. :shock:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Aham.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have cooked many Smithfield hams. The key is simply to simmer it in water to cover until it is tender. Depending on the size of the ham this will take 4-5 hours. Yes scrub it first to remove mold, and soak it if you like, though simply changing the water a couple of times during cooking (I recommend doing this 2 or 3 times) will do the same thing as soaking it.

When it is tender remove the ham from the water, let it cool, and trim it. It is now edible. You can bake or slice it as is. If you bake it, you are just doing it to flavor the ham, it doesn't require any further cooking.