• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe/books with an oil based chocolate filling?

I'd love to start playing with different oils in chocolate fillings, does anyone know of any books that cover this subject?

Also, as an aside, I went to the Speciality Chocolate Fair in London this past weekend and saw a presentation by Damian Allsop from Damian Allsop Chocolates making a water-based mouse, he gave out some of his fresh mint chocolates which use the same technique, and the flavour was very very clean. Apart from going on a course he'll be setting up at some point next year, does anyone have any pointers on chocolate and water?

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

If you're just looking to experiment with adding various essential oils to ganaches, I wouldn't worry much about finding a book. The amount of oil you typically add to flavor a chocolate is too small to have a meaningful impact on the other properties of the ganache, in my experience. I just make a batches of ganache and play around. If you are looking to really work the new-flavor-development angle, I suggest The Flavor Bible.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

If you're just looking to experiment with adding various essential oils to ganaches, I wouldn't worry much about finding a book. The amount of oil you typically add to flavor a chocolate is too small to have a meaningful impact on the other properties of the ganache, in my experience. I just make a batches of ganache and play around. If you are looking to really work the new-flavor-development angle, I suggest The Flavor Bible.

I actually bought that book last week and have started plodding through it for ideas, thanks Chris.

And thanks for the advice Edward.

I'm hoping to come up with something involving pumpkin oil, so will just tinker with it.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

The only recipe I've found in my books is this one, taken from "Come Musica" by Luca Mannori:

----

800 g chocolate 64%

400 g hazelnut paste (light, not dark)

80 g extravirgin olive oil

1 g fleur de sel

Melt the chocolate to 45° C.

Add the hazelnut paste and the olive oil in small doses.

Temper the ganache.

When it reaches 28° C add the fleur de sel and pour in the mold.

----

Teo

Teo

Check out this thread were we discussed Damian Allsop's water ganache. I suspect you could use the modified recipe I put together using whatever oil appeals in place of the sunflower oil.