• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lamb innards

kkeym

Tomorrow a friend is butchering a lamb and giving me most of it, including heart, liver, and stomach. I enjoy eating these kinds of things, but have never cooked them. Would love some ideas on what to do with them. Any thoughts? thanks!

Lamb's fry (the liver) with bacon is a popular old fashioned dish here that I still sometimes see on pub menus. As for the rest, I just spent 4 weeks on a station where I ate lamb or mutton 4-5 times a week (and very good it was too), but I'm pretty sure the kelpies were the only ones eating the heart and other bits, because I didn't see it!

I ate beef and elk heart quite a few times when I was a kid - I remember it stuffed and roasted and it was very nice. Also, there are recipes for white pudding and offal meatballs using pig heart, lungs and liver in Darina Allen's forgotten skills of cooking. Maybe you could try an ovine version if you can get the lungs as well?

Lamb's fry (the liver) with bacon is a popular old fashioned dish here . . .

Interesting. When you ask for lamb fries at the other end of The Commonwealth you don't get liver.

101_4215.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

My standards for when I butcher a lamb.

Devilled kidneys. One of my very favourite things to eat.

Liver, as above is very good with bacon and onions. I also like it flash fried, still slightly pink, slosh in a glass of port afterwards and reduce hard for a sauce.

Heart is good stuffed. My favourite and easiest option is in a paprikash with lots of onion, tomato and paprika. Served with boiled potatoes and soured cream.

If you're getting the stomach it would be a shame not to make haggis. I've made the filling and stuffed into ox-bung. Never had a go with stomach. Be interested to see pics of someone doing it.

An offal kebab, liver, kidney, heart and lung is good.

You getting the brain? Brains on toast with maybe salsa verde. Very nice.

Sweetbreads? Thymus and Pancreas. Lovely dusted in seasoned flour. Fried in butter. On toast.

Nose to Tail Eating - Fergus Henderson

The Fifth Quarter - Anissa Helou

Both full of ideas for lamb offal.

Interesting. When you ask for lamb fries at the other end of The Commonwealth you don't get liver.

That's what I think it is, isn't it? there were a lot of screwed up faces when I mentioned rocky mountain oysters to my hosts, so I don't thin they make an appearance in rural New South Wales.

If I actually liked offal (other than heart which I've not had in years anyway) the kebabs mentioned by sheepish sound delicious.

That's what I think it is, isn't it? there were a lot of screwed up faces when I mentioned rocky mountain oysters to my hosts, so I don't thin they make an appearance in rural New South Wales.

If I actually liked offal (other than heart which I've not had in years anyway) the kebabs mentioned by sheepish sound delicious.

Yes it is. And given the low price I'm surprised they're not more popular. I'm one of those "I'll try anything once" cooks and in this case maybe once is enough. By far my fave offal from lamb is the sweetbreads.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Have you tried cooking an Adobo Liver? That's a good one to try too.

If you're getting the stomach it would be a shame not to make haggis. I've made the filling and stuffed into ox-bung. Never had a go with stomach. Be interested to see pics of someone doing it.

An offal kebab, liver, kidney, heart and lung is good.

Offal sounds great as well particularly on intestines.

+1 with Haggis. That is one of the famous way to do it.

thanks for the suggestions -- it just came in now and I'm still pondering. I'm going to prep it all now and then decide what to do. Got lungs, kidneys, liver, stomach, heart, and intestines. Looking forward to this... :)

I'm originally from Apulia, in the south of Italy. A traditional way for us would be to make marretti, some innard rolls, or we cook gnumeridd, bits of liver, lungs and sweetbreads.

Here a link on how to make those, from the italian food and cooking