• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stromboli, pizza rolls and other non-pizza pizza

Fat Guy

The pizza-consumption idiosyncrasies topic has been a goldmine of ideas for related topics. One thing I wanted to start getting to the bottom of is a taxonomy of non-pizza, pizza-like things. I happen to like stromboli a lot. I assumed it was a real Italian pizza variant but Wikipedia says it comes from Philadelphia in the 1950s. I also hear that "pizza rolls," which are sometimes like stromboli, I gather, and sometimes like egg rolls with sauce-cheese filling, are gaining popularity. What else is out there?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Panzarotti...a fried calzone. I think calzone is the closest to "pizza", it's pizza dough turned over the filling and sealed into a crescent shape. Usually no sauce inside, you are given sauce on the side to add as desired. I guess that helps the dough cook better, without the extra moisture inside.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I really love meatball subs, and other "pizza type" sandwiches, including stromboli and calzoni when they have a higher "good stuff" to bread ratio.

The pizza rolls that I've had, however, are mainly dough, with just a little bit of the good stuff in the middle.

They seem to be pretty popular. But I'm not a fan.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I went to college in Upstate NY, and one company was doing fantastic by selling all different kinds of calzones (http://www.dpdough.com). They weren't really big at my school, but we ate it every time we visited friends in Corland, Albany, etc. Tons of different filling options, and they would pretty much make anything you could think of. They definitely catered to the late-night drunk crowd (who DOESN'T want a buffalo chicken calzone at 4am?).

Though intoxication may have affected my senses, I remember the calzones being pretty darn good.

Panzarotti...a fried calzone. I think calzone is the closest to "pizza", it's pizza dough turned over the filling and sealed into a crescent shape. Usually no sauce inside, you are given sauce on the side to add as desired. I guess that helps the dough cook better, without the extra moisture inside.

We use sauce inside our panzerotti. The trick is to use crushed tomatoes and to not put the sauce until right before you seal and throw in the oil. Be sure to close tight! I recently wrote out a family recipe if anyone is interested. There's a famous place in Milano that has like 50 different fillings. I think I have pics of mine.

I am OBSESSED with filled dough. Luckily, they are where I live too.

We get "Ciaccino" which looks like very, very thin focaccia filled with mozzarella and ham. Can also be found with other ingredients, but that's the most popular.

There are rounder versions, that are rolled up with the ingredients that vary from city to city, place to place. Examples can be peperoni and provola and others with cicoria or other leafy green veggies and mozzarella, Broccoli Rabe and Sausage and all kinds of other fun things.

Around Easter, my family makes a rolled bread with baccala onions and olives. And another with ham cheese and raisins. I think I might have a pic laying around if anyone is interested.

In the fall, they make schiacciata with grapes and sprinklings of sugar which I dream about because they only do it in the Fall, really.

I used to like making a dish called "Cauliflower Pizza Flavor." It consisted of roasting large florets under a layer of pizza sauce and then a topping of grated mozz. It was easy, especially if you had some leftover home-made pizza sauce. And it was a good way to dispense with a lot of cauliflower. And of course it eliminated having to make a pizza dough, so it's questionable that it can be called a true non-pizza pizza, but it satisfied the pizza urge, included a healthy serving of cruciferous vegetable, tasted good and was relatively fast to produce. Chez moi, BYOR.

calzones from mid island(around bohemia on long island).

the other item is from my friend joyce's family: scaccia.

for all hoidays that have to have non meat "pizza" products that comes from italy - pizza dough, tomato sauce, romano cheese that is fine grated, grated like mozzarella and then cubed. fold up and roll like a stromboli, bake and serve with the extra tomato sauce. it is fantastic hot or room temp.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

What's the difference between Pizza sauce and tomato sauce?

Maybe this should be in a different place?

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

What's the difference between Pizza sauce and tomato sauce?

Maybe this should be in a different place?

Pizza sauce usually comes already seasoned...it's a short-cut in a jar/can.

Tomato sauce is just that.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The cafeteria at work sometimes offers a pizzarito. I've never tried it but I gather the individual sized pizza is baked and then rolled.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

There are also the two bastard stepchildren of pizza, hot pockets and toaster pastries. Neither of them are particularly good, and I dare say barely edible. They tend to be the staple of college students and those without free time to get something better to eat.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently working on a recipe for a covered pizza. I tasted it in a (now defunct) restaurant in Montreal. I've heard/read it referred to as both a panzarotti and as a calzone. I've seen it described as "pizza with a lid" as well as some other term I don't remember. An Italian friend simply referred to it as a "bread". I think it's best on a basic, white crust (although I've been making variations of partial whole wheat crusts and, my personal favourite, a sesame crust but not with a covered pizza).

• 1 month later...

Well folks, my first post!! I just had to comment......at my cafe, Red Box Pizza on the lakefront at Tuross Head NSW Australia, we make great wood fired Calzones with assorted fillings, both savoury and sweet. They are a bigger meal than a pizza and still perfect to share. A fetta/ tomato/ spinach/ spanish onion and cumin combo is my favourite! My favourite sweet one, involves, custard, caramel and banana!

I use my pizza dough, just rolled a little thinner.

Debbie

My link

Debbie Skelton

The Food Collective

debsravingrecipes.blogspot.com

• 5 years later...