• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When did Ranch dressing take over the world?

heidih

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Did ranch dressing take over the world? No. America maybe.

I've lived over a large part of the world and have never seen or tried it. I don't even know what it is. Never heard of "American dressing" either.

Just as well, given how utterly vile it is

• Like 1

The bottled stuff is pretty vile like most bottled dressings. I enjoy the fresher tasting ones that you can buy in the cold case and have enjoyed the one you make with the dry packet. My 96 year old father had it for the first time recently at a local institution Americanized Mexican place and fell in love. It had a really fresh taste. He can't tolerate vinegary foods anymore so this was a revelation to the old salad lover. It was the fresh stuff not the chemical yuck.  I offered to get hm some but he insisted in knowing the nutritional data first. Mind boggling attitude......

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

I like ranch dressing.

Me too. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And there are foods that should not be ranched. 

Like pizza. 

But there's a generation whose mothers gave them ranch to get them to eat a "healthy snack" who now think it's the universal condiment. 

• Like 2

I also like Ranch.

TJ's has one in a bottle and its Organic 

Penzey's has a buttermilk herb mixture

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/buttermilk-ranch/c-24/p-534/pd-s

it makes very good Ranch style ' dressing '

and you can control the amount of Ranch you want in the final item

it makes very little difference what others do

its what I do that counts

a bit more.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Our local Mexican restaurant routinely includes a bottle of ranch  along with the traditional hot sauces  on every table.  Very sad to watch patrons drown their tacos in the white stuff.  I agree, it has a place but just not on my Mexican platter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One time, a long time ago, my son and I took a trip to LA to visit his mom and grandparents stopping along the way to sight see. After leaving LA we came back to Kansas via Highway 1 along the coast and north of San Francisco, headed east to Jackson Hole. Somewhere, while still in California, on a forested two lane, we came to a fork in the road.  On one fork were two tall posts with a chain across the road. Across the top of the two poles was a sign that said Hidden Valley. I have always wondered if that was the same place as where the dressing came from.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, you mean Memphis ketchup?

I don't like the bottled dressings on a salad; thicker ones are OK as a dip. I have a recipe for a homemade one that's decent, though it's not my first choice. I'll doggoned near always go with a viniagrette of some sort on a salad.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ranch Dressing, the unofficial ketchup of Oklahoma.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

well you all compelled me to a small ranch dressing dippage. Hard pretzel dipped in ranch. I looked in my office fridge and there's probably as many bottles of salad dressings as I have employees...at least 2 different types of ranch dressing (supermarket house brand and all natural variety...each belongs to a different person).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Ok, I'm outing myself on this one, but there are two restaurants that serve a ranch dressing that I would go out of my way to have.  One of them is Libby Hill Seafood - a NC chain.  The food is fine - typical fried stuff - but whatever prepared or mix ranch dressing they use is fantastic.  The other is GOLDEN CORRAL.   Crap.  I didn't want that to come out.  So, we occasionally crave a whole country spread - fried chicken, meat loaf, creamed chicken, mashed potatoes, collards, butter beans, sweet potatoes, etc.  Around here, the only place that has that is Golden Corral.  They also have that fantastic ranch dressing.  I will slink off now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, I'm outing myself on this one, but there are two restaurants that serve a ranch dressing that I would go out of my way to have.  One of them is Libby Hill Seafood - a NC chain.  The food is fine - typical fried stuff - but whatever prepared or mix ranch dressing they use is fantastic.  The other is GOLDEN CORRAL.   Crap.  I didn't want that to come out.  So, we occasionally crave a whole country spread - fried chicken, meat loaf, creamed chicken, mashed potatoes, collards, butter beans, sweet potatoes, etc.  Around here, the only place that has that is Golden Corral.  They also have that fantastic ranch dressing.  I will slink off now.

Golden Corral....  My father used to take us there when I was a kid.  I cannot help but slip in there every once in a while still.  I always leave feeling worse for the experience.  And that pretty well sums up my relationship to Ranch, too.

• Haha 4

Ive never heard of Golden Coral

an all you can eat place

I looked them up

they seems to have a zillion dishes.  they must rotate

however , the only dal question is are the mashed potatoes made from real ' freshly cooked ' potatoes ?

they is one in MA . but its a ways away.

guess Im lucky !

I just thought of one that I really enjoy. There is a local teriyaki joint that serves the best fied zucchini. A crispy breading that acually sticks to the vegetable spears, and their frying technique is exemplary: practically greaseless. They make their own Ranch-style sauce that is a lovely foil. I do add some hot sauce. I don't particularly want to replicate it as I prefer it to be an occasional treat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive never heard of Golden Coral

an all you can eat place

I looked them up

they seems to have a zillion dishes.  they must rotate

however , the only dal question is are the mashed potatoes made from real ' freshly cooked ' potatoes ?

they is one in MA . but its a ways away.

guess Im lucky !

Can't speak for them all, but our GC does use real potatoes to make their mashed potatoes.  And the fried chicken and pot roast are good, too.

if anyone on this thread routinely from time to time

orders form Penzey's 

consider a portion of 

now is says it has ' Bell Peppers " in it

Yikes

O.o

however , if it has GrBells in it

and I can tall if a GrB is with in a mile of my house

it doesn't seem to matter in this mix.

Odd , no ?

I looked P's up

they have a Green Goddess dried mixture !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I will slink off now.

Don’t think you or anyone needs to slink off. We like what we like.  I like ketchup

on toast. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In these parts, Mazzio's Pizza has the best Ranch Dressing.  You can even buy containers of it people like it so much.  Me too.  

• Like 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 10 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, rotuts said:

if anyone on this thread routinely from time to time

orders form Penzey's 

consider a portion of 

now is says it has ' Bell Peppers " in it

Yikes

O.o

however , if it has GrBells in it

and I can tall if a GrB is with in a mile of my house

it doesn't seem to matter in this mix.

Odd , no ?

I looked P's up

they have a Green Goddess dried mixture !

I bought Penzeys buttermilk ranch.  Maybe I am doing something wrong but the dressing overwhelmingly tastes of salt.  And not much besides salt.

I add salt to salted nuts.  I eat salt out of hand.  I enjoy salt.  I do not enjoy Penzeys buttermilk ranch.  I've never been dissatisfied with any purchase from Penzeys before.  I am thinking to complain.

Amusingly Penzeys home page currently features a ranch dressing recipe that is not made from the buttermilk ranch mix.  It is made from Justice and Pasta Sprinkle spice blends, and sounds much more palatable.  Both blends are salt free.  The recipe sounds pretty good actually.

Plus I will point out as a public service that Penzeys Green Goddess contains no anchovy and is therefore not fit to eat.  Unless you want to call it "ranch".

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou