• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French toast for the novice

Fat Guy

Back when I were a young lad, some 30 years ago when fat was not bad for you, I had some wonderful Texas French Toast that was white bread about an inch thick and deep fat fried and dusted with powdered sugar. I was not sure about the egg/dairy preparation as it was a Holiday Inn, but man was that good!!!! Since I now own a deep fat fryer again, after reading Modernist Cuisine I may try coming up with a recipe. I think vanilla would be nice, but nutmeg does it for me. I also think that stale bread may be the key also, but as the Modernist books say stale bread is actually wet so that may not work in a deep fryer. Sunday mornings look out – we are going to start experimenting for the ultimate deep fried French Toast...

Edited by DrewUK (log)

Drew @ Cut Cook Eat

• 3 weeks later...

Occasionally I make stuffed French toast. Before dipping in egg, I cut the bread thick enough to make a pocket along one side and fill it with cheese or berries or cannoli cream, or whatever I have on hand that seems appealing.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and will certainly try some of the ideas set out. I loved what we called French toast when my parents were alive, both would make it but my Dad, an occasional but enthusiastic cook with a repertoire of Jewish recipes that I can still sometimes taste but will never make as he had no books and he died long before my own interest in food emerged, made the best FT, often as Sunday breakfast.

Both of my parents considered this a savoury dish so no sugar, syrup or fruit, just thin slices of bread soaked in egg and cream seasoned mix, lots of black pepper, then fried in butter till crisp on outside and cooked through.

I've eaten 'pain perdu' as a dessert in France, invariably sweet and served with fruit, nothing at all like the FT I grew up with, I had never put the two concoctions together until I read this thread. There are varieties of puddings in the English repertoire that are similar to the 'pain perdu' idea, under the general heading 'bread and butter pudding', some are not too far away from recipes discussed here while others involve many other ingredients and are baked rather than cooked on a hob.

Thanks to all for invoking memories of happy childhood days for me. Perhaps it's time I tried to work out some of my father's recipes from memories of taste and watching him prepare. If I get the FT anywhere near I'll be very happy!

• 6 years later...

Kerry had to post this yesterday:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155794-baking-with-myhrvolds-modernist-bread-the-art-and-science/?do=findComment&comment=2135403

French toast was to be my project this afternoon but I ended up taking apart a computer and a lamp, and now it's almost mai tai time.  So perhaps FT for tomorrow.

Any new thoughts on recipes?  Or ideas for not making a mess?  I plan to vacuum infuse slices of my MB French lean bread boule and, fry on my electric griddle.  Hoping not to have custard all over the vacuum chamber and in the pump.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Kerry had to post this yesterday:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155794-baking-with-myhrvolds-modernist-bread-the-art-and-science/?do=findComment&comment=2135403

French toast was to be my project this afternoon but I ended up taking apart a computer and a lamp, and now it's almost mai tai time.  So perhaps FT for tomorrow.

Any new thoughts on recipes?  Or ideas for not making a mess?  I plan to vacuum infuse slices of my MB French lean bread boule and, fry on my electric griddle.  Hoping not to have custard all over the vacuum chamber and in the pump.

The best way to make French toast? Challah, sliced 1-1 1/2 inch thick. 1 egg. 1/4 cup heavy cream.  Soak bread for maybe 30 seconds, pressing it down so it'll soak up plenty of the mixture. Fry in butter.  That'll be enough egg/cream to do two slices.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

28 minutes ago, kayb said:

The best way to make French toast? Challah, sliced 1-1 1/2 inch thick. 1 egg. 1/4 cup heavy cream.  Soak bread for maybe 30 seconds, pressing it down so it'll soak up plenty of the mixture. Fry in butter.  That'll be enough egg/cream to do two slices.

I don't have Challah, I have a chamber vacuum sealer.

• Like 1

Do you have the original Modernist Cuisine?  In it is a great recipe for a french toast using the chamber vac.  A few years ago, I did a savory chorizo flavored french toast (simmered a whole lot of minced chorizo in the cream before making the custard) - it was amazing....

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Do you have the original Modernist Cuisine?  In it is a great recipe for a french toast using the chamber vac.  A few years ago, I did a savory chorizo flavored french toast (simmered a whole lot of minced chorizo in the cream before making the custard) - it was amazing....

I have read it.  I do not own a copy.  There is this on line:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/chorizo-french-toast/

Chorizo flavored FT is not what I am looking for at the moment.

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

@JoNorvelleWalker I understand that you may not want the chorizo french toast, but the methods are applicable to other flavors

The recipe gives no guidance how thick to cut the rounds but if I can warm up a bit I am about to go give it a try.

Apologize for being OT,  but when I read the title  Novice French Toast,  it reminded me of the movie Kramer v Kramer -   an extremely well done movie ( 5 Oscar Awards ) with Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman.  Hoffman and Streep are married, and are progressing through a divorce. At the outset of the movie,  Dustin starts to spend some time with his son alone in visitation.  To demonstrate his ineptness at the beginning, the movie shows him making french toast for his son     -  and Dustin is a true novice.  The son's face throughout the process is priceless.  As I recall it , much later in the movie they again make french toast, though of course the results are much better.  

• Like 1

John's idea of French toast has now devolved into this:

start heating pan up

beat up eggs

soak bread in eggs

add olive oil to hot pan

put bread in pan with olive oil

Cook until LIGHTLY browned - do NOT get any kind of heavy brown on the bread.  If you do scrape off - it will cause cancer.

Top with real maple syrup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites