• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long will sourdough levain stay active in the ref?

Obese-Wan Kenobi

Hi,

Was going to bake some sourdough tomorrow so I prepared everything yesterday and today.

I turned my wet starter into a firm one and let it ferment for 8 hours.

Then I turned my firm starter into a levain and let that ferment for 8 hours.

Then I let my levain retard in the ref for the final dough mixture tomorrow morning.

But, I got a call and I can't work on it tomorrow anymore.

So my question is how long can I keep that fermented levain in the ref and keep it fully active until I can finish the dough for baking?

Thank you! :)

Edited by Obese-Wan Kenobi (log)

Please explain what you mean when you say you turn your wet starter into a firm one and I have never heard of making a levain from a yeasty starter either, much less doing it in 8 hours, but if a wet starter gets thoroughly chilled, you need to bring it back to room temperature and feed it again before using it. One feeding will do unless it has been more that a couple of weeks. You should be able to tell when its ready. If you made a dough ( firm starter?) then it will be ready to go once it has warmed up and risen. It should last at least a couple of days in the fridge.

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the reply! What I mean is I have a "chef" in the fridge for many years. I feed it and maintain it. When I want to make bread, I usually get two tablespoons of this "chef" (wet sourdough) a few tablespoons of water and flour to form a firm dough that I let ferment for 8-12 hours which I called a "firm starter." From this firm starter, I add more flour and water to make a levain, to which I will add my final additions of flour and water to use to bake the bread. Is that clearer? :)

I'm at the stage of an almost fully ripe levain that's retarding in the ref. So that will last a few days? 3-5 days?

Regards!

How much of your starter do you use in your final dough? I use a lot (200g flour/100ml H20 + culture for a bread that totals 625g flour/450ml H20 including the starter). I find that if I let this initial build go too long, I get a very slack dough without the structure to hold up as well as usual. It's definitely a fine balance to strike sometimes. I'd let it go until it gets to the look/feel you're used to when you bake without retarding it. I would definitely check it after 24 hours.

edited for clarity

Edited by Alcuin (log)

nunc est bibendum...