• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal cubes

metea

I'm surprised at the lack of recipes involving veal cubes on the web. Is this perhaps because they can be used interchangeably with beef cubes? Any difference?

What do you like to do with them? I'm thinking some kind of curry, but not sure what to watch out for.

My father used to make a really good stew with veal and Italian sausage in a tomato sauce base with generally Italian seasonings. I don't know if this is authentic to any regional Italian cuisine, but it was good, and I make it occasionally.

I make a sauce for pasta with veal cubes. Brown and braise them as for osso buco (I do them with broth, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, mirepoix, S&P) until they fall apart, and mash them into shreds at the end. Finish with some very finely chopped fresh sage. Freezes brilliantly too. In the time it takes to cook the penne, it can be defrosted and heated.