• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dannon's new Oikos Greek yogurt

heidih

Bought several when they were on sale last week. I generally have yogurt with fresh fruit for breakfast at work because it's easy to bring and deal with. Apparently some of the Oikos flavors are under the Dannon label and others are Stonyfield. The Honey-Fig with a sliced banana and the Peach-Mango with sliced peaches were both delicious. The yogurts are very thick and rich and the flavorings taste very natural. Definitely worth purchasing again, although they are more expensive than some of the other brands. Still, worth it for the quality.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

picked several up on sale with a coupon. as katie said they are very thick with a great depth of flavor. so far my favorite is the key lime though the vanilla with fresh peaches was very, very good.

the ones under the stonyfield label are organic.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I still think you get the best at a speciality Greek-Mideastern Market or making it yourself. However, the plain Dannon is excellent, especially now with berries in season and the fig tree bearing. It's nice and sour, giving a good contrast to fruit. Never tried the pre-fruited version.

I had a coupon to get one Oikos yogurt free, so I did. I got one with blueberries and shared it with my son who said it was too thick. (He hates Greek yogurt, so you're not alone GlorifiedRice.) I thought it was very good and like my homemade yogurt. It is much too expensive, however.

I had the Key Lime for breakfast today and it was very good. Really thick and rich and limey. It was Dannon Oikos. I will definitely buy these again when they're on sale. They're outrageous (at least to me, I don't want to spend over $1 apiece for yogurts) otherwise, but they are really good. Might be my new favorite although they are also higher in fat and calories than some of my other usual choices. I'm a big fan of the Yoplait probiotic YoPlus myself and they have some interesting flavors like Pomegranate Blackberry that are just delicious.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I personally like Yoplait's Greek line better than the Dannon, but alas, my local supermarket just started carrying Chobani... still, when the coupons come out I'm happy with all three.

interesting, chris. i tried the Yopalit and thoguht it was dreck. i haven't made my own youghurt since the 70's though maybe i should go back to it...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just to be clear, my recommendation for the Yoplait was NOT for the Greek style. I've never tried that one. I'm a fan of probiotic yogurts and that was the one I was referring to.

Really I'll generally buy whatever brand is on sale that day, provided that:

I don't have an active dislike for the product.

It is low or non fat.

Has flavors I like or think I will like.

My supermarket always has at least one brand of yogurt that is on sale any given week, usually at a fairly significant savings over regular price. I just go back to that refrigerated case and see what's there. More often than not I can find at least a few that will tide me over until the following week.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!