• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using kitchen cabinets elsewhere in the house and vice-versa

Fat Guy

Kitchen cabinets are incredibly useful. I just saw a guy's garage that he'd outfitted with kitchen cabinets and I've seen them used in home offices.

But, kitchen cabinets can get expensive. I also saw, a little while back, a kitchen done up with tool cabinets that had to be a lot cheaper than equivalent-quality kitchen cabinets.

I'm thinking about using some IKEA kitchen cabinets in a home-office setup. Has anyone tried this?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have kitchen cabinets in my home office, just the upper set for book storage and a full floor to ceiling cabinet that is a small pantry. Out in the barn we have two sections of kitchen cabinets. One set in the barn is a computer station (yes, we are nerdy) and another set is the base of potting bench. The barn cabinets are not particularly good quality, but they were free from a friend who was going to throw them away.

You-finish kitchen cabinets -- solid oak, no less -- are fairly cheap at the big box stores. I used some as the foundation for a kick-butt entertainment center. Cost 1/10th as much as a custom setup, and looks just as nice.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

The kitchen cabinets which were in the farmhouse when we moved in are now in the cellar holding a thousand disparate items, from laundry soap and Javex to emergency supplies and shoe polish and my knitting needles, massive etc here.

Ed's favorite department store is our local Habitat for Humanity/Restore and he has picked up two additional sets of cabinets for peanuts, one for his part of the studio in the Drive Shed and the other in the Drive Shed proper for storage of who knows what.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Yeah - I have seen some amazing cabinets in Habitat for Humanity at rock bottom prices - very much worth a look.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You-finish kitchen cabinets -- solid oak, no less -- are fairly cheap at the big box stores. I used some as the foundation for a kick-butt entertainment center. Cost 1/10th as much as a custom setup, and looks just as nice.

Exactly what my daughter and her husband did. They wanted a long entertainment center/base for their family room - something with bottom doors that open so that they could put all the (three) kids' toys in there when company comes. They did a little checking, and even got an estimate from a local carpenter. Everything was very expensive. So they got unfinished kitchen cabinets at our local Home Depot, I think it was, and made one. The main difference between kitchen cabinets and cabinet units for other living areas is that kitchen cabinets always have a kick space that runs along the bottom, so that you can stand there and work on the countertop. Buffets, entertainment centers, sideboards, etc., don't. So my son-in-law just bought a few oak planks and added that.

It looks terrific and they get lots of compliments on it. Most folks think it was built in and came with the house.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

So my son-in-law just bought a few oak planks and added that.

Too late to edit, but want to say to anyone that is thinking of doing this, my son-in-law didn't buy "oak planks" to fill in the kick space at the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. He bought moulding. Which was much easier, obviously.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I used to have an "over the fridge" cabinet in my bathroom but we dont discuss that anymore LOL.

This place was fun to check out when I was deciding what to do about my kitchen...I ended up painting all my cabinets ivory but....

http://www.greendemolitions.com/

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When we re-did our bathroom, I wanted useful cabinets, preferably with lots of drawers, and didn't like anything in the bathroom stores. So we went to IKEA, got 3 white cabinets, two with doors, one with 5 drawers. The two sinks went in the cabinets to the right and left, and the drawers in the middle. Even better, the IKEA drawer organizers are great for keeping makeup, medications, etc., separate. We dont need a medicine cabinet above the sinks, and instead, have a whole wall of mirror.

Our plumber was amazed when he came to install the granite countertop -' most people have custom made cabinets with heavy, expensive granite.' But the IKEA ones worked for us, and look good in the bathroom. They hold towels (in slide-out steel drawers, cleaning supplies, soap, all the stuff that accumulates in a bathroom.

when my friend redid her kitchen she took the old cabinets and moved them down to her basement and used them for food storage and some of the ones with drawers for her husband's tools. unfortunately with the flooding irene provided to her basement they are now gone.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have used old cabinets in a laundry room and cheapo cabinets from a building materials shop for a garage. I have also been tempted to line a hallway with cabinets as a pantry and locker type setup.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I have a complete wood shop ,and build all my own kitchen cabinets,my strangest use of one, was in the back yard near where I have BBQ things to cook on, I put one on the fence next to the cooking area, Only problem was the the wasps kept building nests in it,and I had to take it down cause they stung me a few times...

(

Bud

Never tried IKEA. But I think it is good. Personally, I'd choose a personalized home made cabinets than the ones you can see at furniture shops. Aside from having a good quality of your cabinets you also personalize sizes and styles of the cabinets you like. :)

I'm not sure it is that much of an advantage for a home office setup, but the Ikea kitchen cabinets use very high quality (Blum) hinges and full extension drawer slides with optional soft-close features and are very inexpensive. The sizes they offer are limited, but if you can make it work, that is the way to go.

I use uppers and lowers in my garage and couldn't be happier.