• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pho Tai Nam in East Norriton

Furious Flav-or

Hey, long time, no post. Having moved outwardly more burbish has put us into greater proximity of HD Exton and Royersford, but well away from proximity to any good Viet. Neighbors talked this place Pho Tai Nam up to us, but I don't trust their opinion, and see very mixed reviews elsewhere. Apparently, they're the same outfit that was up 202 in Blue Bell in an elegant strip mall, along with a wildly overpriced Korean joint. I much prefer places like Cafe Diem, or even Pho Ha, and hate to throw bucks at restaurants (Green Papaya, anyone?) who refuse to grant our palates the benefit of the doubt by making things the way that one should expect them.

I have eaten several dozen times at their previous location and twice at the new location (in the strip mall behind the Friendly's right before the intersection of Germantown Pike and Swede Rd).

It is family run, decent vermicelli noodles, Pho, fresh and fried spring rolls. May not be as good as some of the places in Philly, but it is pretty good for the burbs. I usually get the fresh spring rolls, grilled chicken vermicelli (in warm weather), Pho (in cooler weather) and either a bubble tea or Vietnamese Iced coffee depending on the weather or time of day.

Give it a shot and let us know what you think.

I think this place is average at best, doing neither Thai not Vietnamese all that well. Travel to the Lansdale area for places like Vietnam Cafe (Telford), Pho & More (Lansdale), Saigon on Main (Lansdale), Saigon 2 (Hatfield) and Nadia Thai (Lansdale), all much better in my opinion.

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

• 2 months later...

By coincidence, I ate there last night. I give it a better-than-average rating for the suburbs considering they are presenting two cuisines. What I like about the Pad Thai is that the chicken (large moist chunks instead of ground)and tofu are grilled. The portion is more than generous. Fresh spring rolls are also good and quite filling. CP

I was there for lunch yesterday. I think they've gotten a little better since they moved into the new place. I had a pretty serious pho craving and left satisfied. The new place is very clean, service is quick, and the pho is pretty good. Can't really complain about that.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson