• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Restaurants of the Past

NJ2FLA

The Tick Tock Diner on Rt. 3.

Dick's Diner in Mountain Lakes.

Dave-El's candy store in Montclair.

Bella's candy store in Verona.

The Denville Shack.

Stewarts Root Beer Stand in Denville.

The Empire Burlesque in Newark.

The Claremont Diner is no more???:sad:

Edited by jaybee (log)

J. Scotts in Red Bank

Mumfords in Monmouth Beach

Sweet Haven in the Galleria, Red Bank

Farmingdale House, Farmingdale

Santa Fe Cafe, Freehold

Bistro Zeeto, Atlantic Highlands

Max's Hot Dogs, on the boardwalk in Long Branch (Like my innocence, boardwalk gone.)

Arturo's Pizza, Eatontown

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Regarding the Clairmont. The one in Verona burnt down. It was then rebuilt and never did well. The building then became a Bobby Rubinos (I think) and then a Harolds Pub.

A rehash of the name - I believe the NEW Clairmont was found on Route 3 in Clifton (actually used in the Sopranos) but that also closed and is now a Honda Dealership. It's funny because the building in Verona became a present day Acura dealership.

Sam's in Lincoln Park is indeed the restaurant you recall. Located on the north side of 202 between LP and Mountain View. Big steaks and pasta.

I noticed the ancient Hobby's is still on Branford place in Newark. Known for its "authentic Newark Jewish cusine" since the 1930s, tongue, overstuffed pastrami, etc.

Same general area:

Joe Nicastro's "King of Sauces" on Park Avenue in Newark

Biase's Restaurant in Newark. Mr Biase's obit is in Sunday's Ledger.

Thomm's Restaurant on Ridge street by the Cathedral. Every significant event in Italian Newark happened there.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail, I think it may have been called Sam's Maple Grove?

I remember Don's with the pictures of all the people. Has anyone ever occupied that building since?

I met Ike Starkman who owns the Jerry's Deli / Rascal House company based out of Calfornia. Rascal House is down in South Florida. He told me that he was looking at that building to open a deli. Guess that never happened. This was a few years back.

There was also a good Chinese place in Cedar Grove adjacent to the Meadowbrook. I don't recall the name. Golden China perhaps?

I had a favorite cheese shop that I used to go to in the 80's...even well into the 90's. It was in Warren and it was called Expressions.

They always had loads of cheese on sale (for CHEAP!) and every one that was on sale was out for sampling. They always had pate' and salsa and crackers out to sample as well. My friends and I would go and practically have lunch sampling the cheese (tho' we bought lots, so we didn't feel *too* guilty!)

I used to love taking friends there when they were visiting as it was a wonderful place to wander through. They also had a great selection of gourmet foods and kitchen items, but the pricing on those was not extraordinary....it was pretty typical.

One day I drove out there with friends...and it was GONE! :shock: A new shop was there, called C'est Cheese. It was a far cry from Expressions. :sad:

I mourn the loss of that shop to this day....

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Monkee Hill, overlooking Marine Park from the back deck of the Union House in Red Bank from '91 - '93. More of a cheesy, seasonal Tiki Bar than a restaurant it had the most diverse clientele of any place I'd ever been, and I'm not normally one to hang out in bars. Thank god it was only seasonal or I would not likely have survived. It was some of the best times in my life...

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

This is ancient history, as I grew up in Northern Jersey (Mountain Lakes) and haven't been back for eons.

The place I really miss is a pizza joint called Pizza Mia on Rte 46 as one's entering Denville from Mountain Lakes. They used to bake their own bread in the pizza oven - round flat loaves. They made a great hoagie using this bread - my favorite being rare roast beef.

Even more spectacular - my first Italian Hot Dogs and Italian Sausages - there was a glass enclosed grill on the front counter, potatoes, onions and green peppers mellowly sauteing away. Foot long hot dogs and sweet Italian sausage off to the side, pre-sauteed and just needing a warming. A single dog or sausage went into a quarter of the bread round, a double order merited a half round.

I think it was at Pizza Mia that I first came to accept grease as an essential nutrional building block.

I'm also wondering about the more formal restaurants my parents hauled me off too. The Harbor on Rte 46 in Parsippany, Llewellyn Farms (? Sp) on Rte 10 I think in Whippany, and my favorite because the waitresses truely doted on me, the Diamond Springs Inn outside of Denville. Any of these still around.

I know the drive-in of my youth is gone - Sip and Sup at the corner of Rte 202 and Rte 10. We reversed the letters to become Pis and Pus. It's also where I worked the years before and after my freshman year in hotel/restaurant management. Owner was a grad. Kitchen prep the first year. Every day, - two crates of cabbage into cole slaw, peel, devein and bread 50 lbs of shrimp. Peel, slice and bread a large bag of bermuda onions. I actually miss those summers. There's something about the assembly line routine of high volume prep that is quite transcendental.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm also wondering about the more formal restaurants my parents hauled me off too.  The Harbor on Rte 46 in Parsippany, Llewellyn Farms (? Sp) on Rte 10 I think in Whippany, and my favorite because the waitresses truely doted on me, the Diamond Springs Inn outside of Denville.  Any of these still around.

I know the drive-in of my youth is gone - Sip and Sup at the corner of Rte 202 and Rte 10.  We reversed the letters to become Pis and Pus.  It's also where I worked the years before and after my freshman year in hotel/restaurant management.  Owner was a grad.  Kitchen prep the first year.  Every day, - two crates of cabbage into cole slaw, peel, devein and bread 50 lbs of shrimp.  Peel, slice and bread a large bag of bermuda onions.  I actually miss those summers.  There's something about the assembly line routine of high volume prep that is quite transcendental.

Sip and Sup went down in one of the revisions of NJ 10, which is about 10 lanes wide at the junction with 202.

I usually avoid that corner for traffic reasons, but I think there's a Chevy's resto on the NW corner where Llewy'n Farms was. And, maybe another of Arthur McGreevy's places alongside it

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

There is a chain in the south called CiCi's Pizza. They have an all you can eat pizza buffet for like $3.99.

CiCi's Pizza

I know it's not the same - but to own a franchise of this place.. wow.. what a business they do.

I know White Castle is still around but I used to go to the one on Pompton (23) Avenue and Bloomfield Avenue in Verona.

Anyone remember Bond's ice cream? My dad used to go there and he said there was some sundae if you ate many of you get your name on the wall or something like that. I believe there was one in the back of Stiretown shopping center in Clifton - by Rowe-Mans.

We also used to go to the Mandarin Chinese Rest. by the Willowbrook mall. It's hard to find a Chinese rest. that makes the old school food like they used to. Good Chow Mein and Chop Suey.

Anyone remember Bond's ice cream?  My dad used to go there and he said there was some sundae if you ate many of you get your name on the wall or something like that.  I believe there was one in the back of Stiretown shopping center in Clifton - by Rowe-Mans.

We also used to go to the Mandarin Chinese Rest. by the Willowbrook mall.  It's hard to find a Chinese rest. that makes the old school food like they used to.  Good Chow Mein and Chop Suey.

I think there was a Bond's in upper montclair also, about ehre the CVS is now.

And, Gruning's on the mountain in south orange. A nice place to stop for ice cream, and snuggle with your honey at the overlook. Other Grunings in South Orange center and Millburn, opposite the Finast market.

And, Holsten's ice cream in Bloomfield, which is still around, I believe.

rancho gordo