• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby back ribs bought in vacuum bag. Is it ok to use this bag to cook sous vide?

mickeyh

Often, when I open a cryovac bag of ribs or a picnic, there is a fairly nasty aroma. I'm told it is because of the nitrogen used to flush the bags before sealing. Whatever it is, if it didn't break down during cooking, but infused the meat, I'd consider them ruined.

The other thought is that I like to remove the membrane from the bone side of the ribs before cooking. Then I like to give them a dry rub. Further, I find that making serving size packages to sous vide is a lot less messy when it comes to service. No trying to hack a large rack of ribs into serving size pieces.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Many times the Cryovac-style bags are heat-shrink and not intended for any temperatures above refrigerator levels. Even if they are not heat-shrink, they may not be designed for higher temperatures, which can cause compounds to leach from the bags.

Thanks for the responses....and you were all correct...the ribs were goood but w/o a dry rub and tender loving care (using a new bag) they could have been a lot better. I think the heat setting for my Supreme Sous Vide cooker could lower the temp down a notch too 165F could may be a little lower...although when I seared them with butter and a commerical barabacue sauce the fokls loved them

• 6 months later...

I just did some at 140F/60C for 46 hours and turned out fall off the bone good. Glad you brought this up...I have some chicken breasts that are already sealed up and was curious if I could just use that.