• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forgotten candy bars, e.g., Caramello

Fat Guy

...I am also in what I guess is the minority of candy eaters that can't stand the Cadbury chocolate recipe. In general I have no idea why so many connoisseurs prefer the British mass-market candies (or the ones made elsewhere under license, such as Cadbury items being made by Hershey in the US) to the American ones. I find the British mass-market chocolate to be inferior -- not that either is particularly good as chocolate goes.

Amen! I can't stand the cadbury chocolate. We lived in India for a few years, so naturally Cadbury was the only stuff regularly available. You could get some imported Hershey's or Godiva or Lindt on occasion, but it was rare and expensive.

Not to mention that many of our close friends are Aussies so they think I'm blaspheming all things good and holy when I talk bad about Cadbury...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I have been known to pick up a Whatchamacallit or Skor bar when I see them on special at the checkout. Yum!

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 4 weeks later...

At our little town's carnival yesterday there was a big military display and they had a couple glass cases filled with boxes of old candy bars. The one that caught my eye was called Chicken Dinner. Anybody remember that? And what could it have tasted like? No wonder they don't sell those anymore with that name!!

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

Does anyone remember the Seven Up Bar?

From candyaddict.com:

"Discontinued sometime in the 70’s, the Seven Up bar began its seven-sectioned life in the 1930s, before the 7-Up Bottling Company began making its soft drink. Eventually the 7-Up company bought the bar and retired it, so they had the exclusive use of the name whichever way it was spelled: Seven Up or 7-Up. None of that mattered a whit to me, as I was only interested in one thing: those seven sections of chocolate-covered different candy centers, meaning I was getting seven big pieces of candy in one regular-sized bar. Quite a bargain to me back then for my hard-saved pennies and nickels (shoot, I’d pay just about anything for one today)!

The Seven Up bar itself consisted of seven separated, filled sections connected by an outer chocolate shell. The shell was real milk chocolate, a bit thick on the edges, but thinner over the fillings, and had a good snap to it if bitten, and a smooth melt if left upon your tongue. The seven fillings were: Orange Jelly, Maple, Caramel, Brazil Nut, Fudge, Coconut, and Cherry; each was so distinct and different that no two bites were remotely alike. I loved the Seven Up bar for that reason especially, and, too, both the chocolate and the candy centers were really, really good."

The Orange Jelly section was my favorite and I always saved it for last.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I used to love Goldenberg's Peanut Chews way way back. When I tried them again several years ago, they didn't seem as good. I don't know if they changed the formula or if it's my changed tastebuds. I'm into really high quality chocolate now, so that could be the reason. Hard to tell whether it's my personal taste that's changed or the actual product.

I also used to love Almond Joys.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I used to love Goldenberg's Peanut Chews way way back. When I tried them again several years ago, they didn't seem as good. I don't know if they changed the formula or if it's my changed tastebuds. I'm into really high quality chocolate now, so that could be the reason. Hard to tell whether it's my personal taste that's changed or the actual product.

I loved these growing up, and still do. However I'm wondering -- did you get the Original version (with dark chocolate, in a red wrappre) or the new(ish) introduction, the milk-chocolate version in a blue wrapper. The milk chocolate one totally misses the mark to me... I find the dark chocolate one still pretty darn good - better than most dark chocolate in commercial candy bars, but obviously no Valhrona / El Rey, etc etc

I loved these growing up, and still do. However I'm wondering -- did you get the Original version (with dark chocolate, in a red wrappre) or the new(ish) introduction, the milk-chocolate version in a blue wrapper. The milk chocolate one totally misses the mark to me... I find the dark chocolate one still pretty darn good - better than most dark chocolate in commercial candy bars, but obviously no Valhrona / El Rey, etc etc

I think they were the original/dark.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 1 year later...