• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forgotten candy bars, e.g., Caramello

Fat Guy

I was at CVS tonight and my eyes were wandering over the immense candy selection. I noticed, among other things, a box of Caramello bars.

Caramello bars? I had completely forgotten about the existence of the Caramello. I'm sure I haven't had one in 25+ years. But I do remember liking them. I'm now thinking I should have bought one.

This all caused me to consider some of the candy bars of old, and how much I wished I could be part of a community of people who enjoy discussing such things.

Reggie bar anyone?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My dad brought home two Pearson's salted nut rolls yesterday. I don't think I'd had one in 20 years. It was just as good as I remember.

Sorry FG, Caramello's just too sweet for me!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I have to do some comparisons but on the rare occasion that I indulge in a mass-market, caramel-focused candy I go for Rolos. I am also in what I guess is the minority of candy eaters that can't stand the Cadbury chocolate recipe. In general I have no idea why so many connoisseurs prefer the British mass-market candies (or the ones made elsewhere under license, such as Cadbury items being made by Hershey in the US) to the American ones. I find the British mass-market chocolate to be inferior -- not that either is particularly good as chocolate goes.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was trying to remember a nougat bar I used to love as a kid. Couldn't remember the name. Spent some time on the internet and discovered that it was called "Big Hunk" and the chocolate covered version was the "Look" Bar. You can still buy them, although probably not in stores. Found lots of fun stuff at http://www.oldtimecandy.com/

Caramello's are really big here in Toronto. So are Kit Kats which are a complete waste of calories, IMNVHO.

Ah the Big Hunk - we used to freeze them and them hit them on the sidewalk to break into manageable pieces (still in the wrapper). If we had any fillings at the time I think this stuff would have pulled them out.

I have to do some comparisons but on the rare occasion that I indulge in a mass-market, caramel-focused candy I go for Rolos. I am also in what I guess is the minority of candy eaters that can't stand the Cadbury chocolate recipe. In general I have no idea why so many connoisseurs prefer the British mass-market candies (or the ones made elsewhere under license, such as Cadbury items being made by Hershey in the US) to the American ones. I find the British mass-market chocolate to be inferior -- not that either is particularly good as chocolate goes.

Oh, no... the chocolate is terrible, borderline inedible. But that soft caramel! Yes, please. Rolo are awful, practically designed to cause dental damage.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Ah the Big Hunk - we used to freeze them and them hit them on the sidewalk to break into manageable pieces (still in the wrapper). If we had any fillings at the time I think this stuff would have pulled them out.

sure it wasn't turkish taffy?

for us it was mallow bars or skybars.

actually these folks have a good selection Vermont Country Store

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

When I was I kid I remember thinking "When I get older I can buy as many candy bars as I want," but now that I am I rarely buy even one.

Bonomo's Turkish Taffy was a favorite ("Smack it and crack it!"). It disappeared but is now available at a few specialty stores nearby and I bought a chocolate. As a kid I must've eaten over a hundred so my memory of the entire Bonomo experience is hard wired. The new version is soft, bland and disappointing.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

At the moment I am eating Sugar Babies and really enjoying them.

Mallo Cups, back when they were edible.

That is the one I could not remember the name of. I know I saw it recently in a display. So......not worth getting the current version?

• 2 weeks later...

This goes way back. Cowboy bars. They were a coconut caramel bar. I have searched many sites but so far nothing. The other bar that I miss is the original Mars bar, chocolate with nougat center and toasted almonds on top. Just made myself drool thinking of Mars bars.