• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is my meat safe?

DanM

After about 4 days of waiting, we finally got power back after Irene smacked us around. I never opened the door to the freezer hoping that everything would survive. When the power came back on, the temperature on the door panel said 30f. I opened the freezer to inspect the contents and found some of the smaller items like frozen peas and popsicles had melted, but the meat was still pretty solid. I used my instant read thermometer and I never saw a temperature above 31f. Given that none of the readings were above 40, I assume that the food is safe to keep and allow to go back to a frozen state. Is the meat really safe, or am I completely off on this?

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

It might depend on how sturdy your immune system is. I wouldn't try it, personally. My parents just threw out the contents of their fridge & freezer. FYI, take a picture first, see if you have grocery receipts because their insurance agent said they can file a claim.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

In the position you describe, I'd re-freeze everything without a second thought.

As would I. Hurricane Juan in 2003 gave us a similar choice and we all lived. As I recall, we refroze the semi-frozen meats and cooked the mushy. Just don't feed anyone who might sue.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

It might depend on how sturdy your immune system is. I wouldn't try it, personally. My parents just threw out the contents of their fridge & freezer. FYI, take a picture first, see if you have grocery receipts because their insurance agent said they can file a claim.

Generally, you're out of luck as far as insurance claims go on items like this. They will fall under an Act of God clause. I'd freeze it all again and call it lucky that none of the internals were above freezing.

The nose will know, beyond a doubt! I say go for it, but if you find a stinker, 86 it!

While I also think the meat in question is fine, I wouldn't be comfortable with this sort of test. The pathogens responsible for spoilage (and its smell) are different than those that cause foodborne illness. The latter can be harmful without creating a detectable odor. [source: "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas]

Duh! Sorry for the bad advice; I got so used to my mum trimming off bits of cheese, sausage, etc., giving the remainder a hearty sniff and pronouncing it good, that it's been my system ever since, as long as the color is right! No illnesses, either!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We all have different body immunological responses. It’s up to you.

I grew up in an area with no refrigeration, eating smelly food all the time. (Lots of powerful seasoning to cover up the smell)

Now, for myself, if the meat kind of stinky and kind of slimy, I just wash the meat, cook and enjoy.

The only time I insist on 100% fresh meat is when I am making sushi. :-)

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

The meat was still frozen, you say? and the temps were below freezing?

Keep it.

It would have been fine in teh fridge for 4 days at 35F.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Generally, you're out of luck as far as insurance claims go on items like this. They will fall under an Act of God clause. I'd freeze it all again and call it lucky that none of the internals were above freezing.

you may want to check with your electric utiliy, though. my grandfather ran a small electric company and the company reimbursed users if they had to throw out food because of an outage. they did have to provide documentation, however.

as for me - if it is still frozen ok to refreeze; if partially thawed convert it by cooking it then use, donate to a shelter or other place that could use it to feed others that have suffered or freeze.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites