• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Terry Gross and Fresh Air on Food all week

Country

This week Terry Gross is featuring food interviews all week on NPR (National Public Radio). For more info Go Here.

Yesterday's featured interview was with Grant Achatz. Today's was on bananas - and quite interesting. Tomorrow interviews with Ruth Reichl and Russ Parsons. Terry Gross does great interviews and the interviews on yesterday's and today's programs can be heard at the link above.

I meant to post on this yesterday - but, better late than never.

The second interview today, "The Tube Burger," with Michael Specter (after the banana guy) had my husband and me in stitches. Every time Specter opens his mouth to defend the potential upside of growing meat in a test tube he digs his hole a little deeper. By the end of the interview you are utterly convinced that this is an exceptionally bad idea. And Terry asks some of the funniest questions I've ever heard. The description of how to get the baby blob of meat to exercise a muscle on its petri dish is priceless.

Just a heads up... Today, in addition to Ruth Reichl, Russ Parson is going to tell how to make the "perfect french fry"!

Katie's right. Terry does ask some very funny questions and, also, asks seemingly innocent questions that often draw more candid responses than the interviewee might have offered otherwise. She's a great interviewer.