• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pioneer Woman

teagal

I was a long time reader of her blog. While I agree that a few of her recipes are good, you can also find the same type recipes in any local cookbook.

Without going deep into it, I grew weary of hearing how much she hates being in the spotlight, how much she sweats due to being nervous etc. etc. If one loathes something so much, why keep doing it?

Also, if you do a google on the Drummond ranch, or Ladd Drummond it is quite an eye opener regarding the dollars they receive for keeping horses and how the family acquired their land in the first place.

If I didn't know all of the background that I know now, I'd wonder why so many have such strong feelings regarding her, too.

That being said, it's her life and I wish her all the happiness in the world. She's just not for me.

Oh, and on a side note, if you google Pioneer Woman there are a couple of sites that spoof her blog. They are kind of funny/interesting. But, then you get into the whole blog bashing thing and that gets tiresome, too.

Interesting insight, though, isn't it, into the way our world works today.

Pre-internet, she probably would have just set down out there on her ranch and started making notes in her diary. A diary that likely nobody but her family ever would have seen.

But now...

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I was a long time reader of her blog. While I agree that a few of her recipes are good, you can also find the same type recipes in any local cookbook.

Without going deep into it, I grew weary of hearing how much she hates being in the spotlight, how much she sweats due to being nervous etc. etc. If one loathes something so much, why keep doing it?

Also, if you do a google on the Drummond ranch, or Ladd Drummond it is quite an eye opener regarding the dollars they receive for keeping horses and how the family acquired their land in the first place.

If I didn't know all of the background that I know now, I'd wonder why so many have such strong feelings regarding her, too.

That being said, it's her life and I wish her all the happiness in the world. She's just not for me.

Oh, and on a side note, if you google Pioneer Woman there are a couple of sites that spoof her blog. They are kind of funny/interesting. But, then you get into the whole blog bashing thing and that gets tiresome, too.

Pre-internet, she probably would have just set down out there on her ranch and started making notes in her diary. A diary that likely nobody but her family ever would have seen.

But now...

Maybe......

But, the cynic in me says that the blog had lofty intentions from the beginning.

Her blog is kind of a modern spin on the Little House books. The Ingalls family wasn't particularly remarkable or interesting in their way of living or cooking. Rereading the Little House books as an adult, I am struck by the impetuousness and lack of planning of the adults. That said, my own family were also pioneers, so I have a soft spot for Laura and, in a different way, for Ree. Much of both their stories are poetic license, but it makes for a better story. It's all just entertainment, after all.

But now...

Maybe......

But, the cynic in me says that the blog had lofty intentions from the beginning.

Probably so. But still, compare that to the olden days. She would have kept her diary. She would have searched and searched for a publisher, likely to no avail.

And that would have left only her family to roll their eyes and giggle.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

But now...

Maybe......

Not cynical, astute.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well, I'm certainly with you on Homesick Texan. Great blog.

I guess the part that I find a bit off-putting about discussing "TV personalities we don't know" is the vehemence with which some folks do that discussing. It's like we just got wind that Food Network is giving Charles Manson a show about what tasty and inventive dishes you can prepare on your hotplate for serving when the screws stop by.

Certainly there are celeb chefs that I really like. And some about whom I am indifferent. And some that I don't much care for at all.

But not sure that any of them deserve quite the scathing finger-lashing that they sometimes receive here.

:biggrin:

Maybe because it's easier to be indignant over the success of someone one doesn't think should be successful than over the lack of success in one's own life? Generally speaking, of course (and perhaps personally speaking, at times, although in most cases, I'm more likely to pout than to become indignant).

Anyway, I think she seems like a nice person. Why shouldn't she deserve a TV show? Or a better question, why should anyone deny her one? She's managed to parlay a small blog into a huge (likely money-making) blog with a large following, as well as a successful book. Anyone here manage to do the same?

Aha. Nail on the head, methinks!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the show this weekend. I'd never heard of her before reading this thread.

I don't think I'm in the target demo.

She seems likable. Her twice baked potatoes are identical to mine. She has 0 knife skills. Yikes.

I cringed when her husband went to fire up the match light charcoal. Double yikes, that stuff is terrible. Just sub some lighter fluid for marinade. And then if you're going to cook your expensive beef tenderloin in an aluminum foil pan, why not do it in the oven? Maybe he was protecting it from that nasty charcoal. It was a nice med rare though.

I don't want to snark too much, she's pretty good with that shotgun.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

The New Yorker did a profile of her a while back: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/09/110509fa_fact_fortini

I'm not in the target demo for her blog...the food is at the (mediocre) community-cookbook level. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't need to get it from someone 1,000 miles away when I can talk to my neighbors. But kudos to her for managing to swing a blog, a book deal, and now a TV show. Just 'cause I don't enjoy her faux-folksy food & tone doesn't mean she won't find a wider audience on TV.