• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pioneer Woman

teagal

I saw the first show of Pioneer Woman yesterday and was hoping it might be ok, but, of course with it being on Food Network I should have known better. The woman couldn't even pronounce balsamic-has she been in a cave for the last ten years? I live in a very rural area and most people can pronounce that! I think she's a younger version of Paula Deen. I really wanted to like her, but no its not going to happen.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I think this is more "reality TV" than a cooking show. You have a real ranch, cute cowboys, adorable children and dogs, cattle, and a little "home style" cooking tarted up with things like balsamic vinegar and pesto. Her blog has a vast following, cookbook number two is coming out soon, and the morning TV audiences seemed to enjoy her guest appearances - sounds like a slam dunk for the genius's at Food Network.

I liked it. Of course, I love her blog and the kinds of foods that she makes. She's a little rough edged, but if you watch any of the early shows from any chef on television you'll see the same thing.

She used nothing but REAL food in every one of her dishes - nothing to criticize there. It looks like they will continue to feature her family and ranch activities in future shows, but that is exactly what makes her blog so incredibly popular. I kind of like watching someone who is really just a home cook that has managed to teach herself good technique. Will I continue to watch? I'm not sure. I watch very little FN anymore - I hate the competition shows and the pure cooking shows are few and far between. But I find Ree intelligent and attractive (no cleavage - I mean attractive in the original sense of the word :laugh: ), so I'm in for awhile, at least.

I haven't seen her show, just a cooking demo she did on GMA on Friday morning. While I love the tone of her blog - very funny, goofy and self-deprecating - I wasn't knocked out by seeing her on GMA. However most morning talkshow cooking segments are usually a little confused because there is a lot going on. I probably wouldn't watch her for cooking tips myself, but I would watch for the slice of life presented because I am absolutely enamored of her and her family and their story. But the food does look yummy and except for a few things like jarred bbq sauce, most of it is from scratch.

I don't hate her because I don't even know her, but I don't particularly like her. There are two reasons:

1. Her food does nothing for me. I'm not saying it's necessarily terrible, it just doesn't interest me at all.

2. I get this feeling from her that she's very...contrived. I think she's a smart woman who markets herself very skillfully, but it sets my teeth on edge. I don't mind that she's obviously very wealthy (and I'm not sure that's why her "haters" dislike her either - I mean look at Ina Garten. She's obviously well off and most people either like her or feel neutral about her). It's just that she has this whole thing where she's just a little ol' rancher's housewife and it doesn't ring true at all.

That said, I think she has a large fan base and will probably do well.

My cousin is friendly with her, emulates a lot of what she does for her own foodie career and my cous says Ree is the real deal, meaning what you see is what she is. Her recipes I've had 50/50 success with. On a scale of 1-10 my cooking skills are -1, so I'm not the best barometer to judge her recipes. :)

I think the entertainment factor is refreshing. She took on Bobby Flay in the Thanksgiving show down last year and won.

Would her recipes appear on The French Laundry's menu? NO, nor do they or she try to be 'gourmet' just good tasting good food.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I love Ree's blog and meant to catch her show, but missed it. Her throwdown with Bobby Flay was fun. Her family is charming. I think she will go a long way. I have used a couple of her recipes, with some tweaking, and my family likes them very much. She is not "shtick". Her family owns and operates a very large cattle ranch in Pawhuska and the food she cooks is reflective of feeding hard-working cowboys and hungry children.

I watched the premiere episode of her show yesterday and really enjoyed it. Would I make mashed potatoes with a pound of butter and a half pound of cream cheese? No, but she's entertaining and likeable and her lifestyle is different from the others.

Rachael Ray makes me run screaming from the room, Paula Dean is a pig whose every other word is y'all to the point that she sounds icredibly ignorant, Even Giada has gone Hollywood - what's with the mugging and the cleavage?

At least Ree seems like a decent, personable everyday real deal.

Ugh. She drives me absolutely crazy. Can't stand the woman.

Fake

Fake

Fake

OK, got it. You might even be able to say that in one paragraph, rather like this. I happen to like her, think her blog is well-written and fun, and anyone who puts tater tots in a breakfats burrito can't possibly be so bad. See? One paragraph.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

Ugh. She drives me absolutely crazy. Can't stand the woman.

Fake

Fake

Fake

OK, got it. You might even be able to say that in one paragraph, rather like this. I happen to like her, think her blog is well-written and fun, and anyone who puts tater tots in a breakfats burrito can't possibly be so bad. See? One paragraph.

I do love me a Sonic breakfast burrito with tots in it. :wink:

I think my problem was expectations. I thought, living on a cattle ranch, there'd be a garden, an orchard, perhaps some cheese making, meat smoking? I really don't need to watch another show that shows how to make burgers and macaroni and cheese. It did seem very forced to me, also. especially when she was tackling a calf in her pretty pink shirt. Whatever.

---------------------------------------

I read her blog and enjoy it, but don't watch much FN any more so I likely won't watch her show. I enjoy the "homey-ness" of the blog, and don't really care whether it's fake or not -- I also love mystery thrillers, and they have nothing to do with fact. That said, sometimes I do tend to roll my eyes at the cutesy factor. I've used some of her recipes that I liked, some that I didn't. But there was one recipe for a cherry pudding cake that is an ABSOLUTE keeper and a great quick dessert when you weren't expecting guests, long as you have a can of pie cherries in your pantry!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

"Why is she on TV?" That seems a little harsh.

But assuming you've asked a serious question, here's a serious answer: it's probably because others, like me, have enjoyed her blog and enjoyed her cookbook and choosing what to put on television is always a crapshoot at best - definitely in the "throw it on the wall and see what sticks" category.

And although I haven't seen the show (because I just don't watch a lot of TV), if what you're saying is that she ain't perfect, and she ain't for everyone...

Well, um, okay, whatever.

No news there.

If you don't like it, don't watch.

Seems simple enough.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

But assuming you've asked a serious question, here's a serious answer: it's probably because others, like me, have enjoyed her blog and enjoyed her cookbook and choosing what to put on television is always a crapshoot at best - definitely in the "throw it on the wall and see what sticks" category.

And although I haven't seen the show (because I just don't watch a lot of TV), if what you're saying is that she ain't perfect, and she ain't for everyone...

No news there.

Seems simple enough.

Where's the fun in that? Whatever will we discuss if we cannot put down TV personalities we don't know? Or judge news events we don't know much about? :smile:

FWIW, I've not had much success with Pioneer Woman's recipes (not even that cinnamon bun recipe people raved about), so I don't even read her blog. But if the Homesick Texan or Smitten Kitchen or Tartine Gourmande or David Lebovitz came out with shows, I'd watch even if they were on Food Network (if I got Food Network, which I don't). And if I liked them, I'd keep watching. And if I didn't, I'd stop.

No news there.

Seems simple enough.

Where's the fun in that? Whatever will we discuss if we cannot put down TV personalities we don't know? Or judge news events we don't know much about? :smile:

FWIW, I've not had much success with Pioneer Woman's recipes (not even that cinnamon bun recipe people raved about), so I don't even read her blog. But if the Homesick Texan or Smitten Kitchen or Tartine Gourmande or David Lebovitz came out with shows, I'd watch even if they were on Food Network (if I got Food Network, which I don't). And if I liked them, I'd keep watching. And if I didn't, I'd stop.

Amen, sistah :wink:

No news there.

Seems simple enough.

Well, I'm certainly with you on Homesick Texan. Great blog.

I guess the part that I find a bit off-putting about discussing "TV personalities we don't know" is the vehemence with which some folks do that discussing. It's like we just got wind that Food Network is giving Charles Manson a show about what tasty and inventive dishes you can prepare on your hotplate for serving when the screws stop by.

Certainly there are celeb chefs that I really like. And some about whom I am indifferent. And some that I don't much care for at all.

But not sure that any of them deserve quite the scathing finger-lashing that they sometimes receive here.

:biggrin:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I feel the same. I have been following her blog for quite a while and I like the way she writes.

I've collected several of her recipes.

I've never watched the show but then I rarely watch the Food Channel now. I do watch a few PBS food shows. I guess I've gotten a bit picky in my old age.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, I'm certainly with you on Homesick Texan. Great blog.

I guess the part that I find a bit off-putting about discussing "TV personalities we don't know" is the vehemence with which some folks do that discussing. It's like we just got wind that Food Network is giving Charles Manson a show about what tasty and inventive dishes you can prepare on your hotplate for serving when the screws stop by.

Certainly there are celeb chefs that I really like. And some about whom I am indifferent. And some that I don't much care for at all.

But not sure that any of them deserve quite the scathing finger-lashing that they sometimes receive here.

Maybe because it's easier to be indignant over the success of someone one doesn't think should be successful than over the lack of success in one's own life? Generally speaking, of course (and perhaps personally speaking, at times, although in most cases, I'm more likely to pout than to become indignant).

Anyway, I think she seems like a nice person. Why shouldn't she deserve a TV show? Or a better question, why should anyone deny her one? She's managed to parlay a small blog into a huge (likely money-making) blog with a large following, as well as a successful book. Anyone here manage to do the same?

For my part, I am not being "mean" or rude about Ree, I am just stating that I personally do not like her (as she appears on her blog) but I wish her well in her endeavours (and as I say, I do think she will be successful). I agree that some people get very personal and offensive when discussing celebrities, Food Network and otherwise, but I don't think we should automatically shut down all non-positive comments. Non-vulgar/ childish negative comments can be perfectly valid.

I must be the only person in America who (until this topic began) had never heard of Pioneer Woman -- I'd never seen the blog, didn't know who she was or that she has some books out, and certainly didn't know there was a TV show. When I read this topic, I looked at her blog and checked out the trailer for the TV show. Both the blog and the show are very well produced, but not to my taste. I don't care for her voice on the blog and am not interested in her life so the show doesn't appeal to me, but I can certainly understand why she's popular.

I think this is more "reality TV" than a cooking show. You have a real ranch, cute cowboys, adorable children and dogs, cattle, and a little "home style" cooking tarted up with things like balsamic vinegar and pesto. Her blog has a vast following, cookbook number two is coming out soon, and the morning TV audiences seemed to enjoy her guest appearances - sounds like a slam dunk for the genius's at Food Network.

That to me is the crux of the matter -- do you expect shows on The Food Network to teach you how to cook, or are they designed for entertainment? It seems clear that TFN has given up on the educational shows, so it's not surprising that shows like Pioneer Woman are on the air.

I kind of like watching someone who is really just a home cook that has managed to teach herself good technique.

Granted, I only watched a short trailer from the show, but I would not say she has anything like "good technique." Which is not a big deal if you don't expect to learn technique -- many of the people with shows on The Food Network don't have impressive cooking techniques.

I think my problem was expectations. I thought, living on a cattle ranch, there'd be a garden, an orchard, perhaps some cheese making, meat smoking? I really don't need to watch another show that shows how to make burgers and macaroni and cheese.

Right. I found the little that I watched incredibly boring, but I'm not the target market for shows like this.

Why shouldn't she deserve a TV show? Or a better question, why should anyone deny her one? She's managed to parlay a small blog into a huge (likely money-making) blog with a large following, as well as a successful book.

As popular as she is, it's natural (these days) that she'd get a TV show. If the show is billed as a cooking show, then in my opinion it's very disappointing, but it doesn't appear to be billed that way.

As popular as she is, it's natural (these days) that she'd get a TV show. If the show is billed as a cooking show, then in my opinion it's very disappointing, but it doesn't appear to be billed that way.

As I said above, I haven't seen the show. Never watch FTV, so haven't even seen the commercials for it and have no idea how it's billed.

But the blog and the book seem to be more a 'fish out of water' story. Follow the adventures of a city girl who finds herself out on a ranch. A kind of 'Green Acres' with a few ranch/home-cooking recipes.

I don't think she's ever set herself up as a trained master chef attempting to teach us classic technique.

I dunno. I find the whole thing to be pretty innocuous and frankly don't understand the impetus for the emotional derision from some in this thread.

According to her blog there were only 6 episodes in the deal, so only 4 left to air. They were going to see how it goes for FN and for the family (since it is a working ranch)

I was a long time reader of her blog. While I agree that a few of her recipes are good, you can also find the same type recipes in any local cookbook.

Without going deep into it, I grew weary of hearing how much she hates being in the spotlight, how much she sweats due to being nervous etc. etc. If one loathes something so much, why keep doing it?

Also, if you do a google on the Drummond ranch, or Ladd Drummond it is quite an eye opener regarding the dollars they receive for keeping horses and how the family acquired their land in the first place.

If I didn't know all of the background that I know now, I'd wonder why so many have such strong feelings regarding her, too.

That being said, it's her life and I wish her all the happiness in the world. She's just not for me.

Oh, and on a side note, if you google Pioneer Woman there are a couple of sites that spoof her blog. They are kind of funny/interesting. But, then you get into the whole blog bashing thing and that gets tiresome, too.