• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taking lechon kawali to pot luck

annachan

We're going to a friend's for dinner tonight. I said I'll make lechon kawali (deep fried pork belly). It'll be my first attempt so wish me luck!

Anyway, I'm making it this afternoon. I don't want to make a mess in other people's kitchen so I'll be frying at home before bringing it over. Question is, will I have to heat it up before serving once I get to my friend's house (probably 20 minutes away). If I do, how?

Fried food generally does not travel (or reheat) well. But you are committed. So I'm trying to think what I would do in this instance. I would cook it at the last minute, put it in a paper-towel-lined dish, and bring it, very loosely covered, to the destination, having previously asked the host to have an oven ready at 200F. I'd heat it as little as possible (heat toughens fried food), then serve with rice and lots of sauce. An alternative would be to bring it as described, arranged on your rice with sauce, and microwave the whole thing VERY briefly. Good luck.