• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Just Desserts - Season 2

Shalmanese

Did anyone watch the premiere of Season 2? I gave up on Season 1 after 3 episodes but it looks like S2 is going to be significantly better. Once Melissa (the dour black girl) and Craig (the guy with the annoying voice) are gone, everyone else looks to have some serious chops.

PS: I am a guy.

Also, what typically happens to centerpieces after they're made? Do they ever get eaten or are they usually thrown away? That was a hell of a lot of chocolate that went into some of them.

Usually the chocolate gets recycled into more showpieces. I wouldn't want to eat one since they aren't always made under strictly sanitary conditions. Well, in most competitions they are, but in hotel and school situations, the commodities can be re-used for years, and since they aren't classified as edible, the makers are a bit more relaxed about wearing hats, gloves, etc.

The isomalt gets recycled as well, it's more expensive than the chocolate. And, it's not really great to eat anyway.

I am liking the show a lot more than last season. They seem to be focusing more on real skills and showing a lot more action.

I'm pleased to see Hubert Keller there and that Johnny shaved off those awful sideburns. I have to say that I wish there were more European-trained chefs. The American chefs and their "I'm the baddest chef in the kitchen, yo!" attitudes get on my last American nerve. If you're going to act like a pompous bad-ass, have the skills to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the episode with the Real Housewives. If I had to cook for that crowd, I would make something that looks borderline gaudy and artificial, but lifeless and tasteless on the inside.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Watching the episode with the Real Housewives. If I had to cook for that crowd, I would make something that looks borderline gaudy and artificial, but lifeless and tasteless on the inside.

Or Ho Cakes... :raz:

I'm not watching the new season yet. I'll probably start soon because I don't want to wait 2 years for them to decide to show it in Canada like they did with the first season but I'm holding out a bit to see if that's what's going to happen.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

They're not waiting 2 years to air it in Canada this time but we're running 3 episodes behind the U.S. so I guess I'm going to have to stay out of this thread now.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

They all had to make a dessert. The continuity on this show is really sloppy and leads to a lot of confusion. TG the adenoidal mouth-breathing guy with the fauxhawk got the boot. He was way over his head. I hope Chef Chip-on-his-shoulder, Orlando, goes next.

This season it seems like every single elimination challenge has been set up in team format, hopefully we will get more individual challenges now that some of the weaker competitors are out.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 1 month later...

Season 1 contestants didn't have access to recipes, second season was allowed to bring recipes, I think this has helped the quality of everything immensely.

Yes, but last season I was really impressed with what got made just from memory and feel. I guess having recipes takes it from just trying to get something edible done to having more confidence that the components will work and being able to make more complex desserts.

I thought Orlando should have gone home after the carnival challenge. Carlos had more execution problems, but better ideas that actually related to the theme. Orlando's chocolate apple concoction didn't get great reviews from the judges and was lacking in carnival spirit.

I agree about Orlando's carnival dessert. He kept saying candy apple, and, to me, candy apple means a cinnamon sugar shell on a fresh apple. Caramel apples might have chocolate, but, they should also be primarily fresh apple with caramel. I understand that they were supposed to interpret the food into being a higher-end dessert, but, really, whatever got made should have just sung out with fresh apple flavor. -And some pulled cinnamon sugar would also have been nice.

• 2 weeks later...

And, a winner emerges! Congrats to Chris!

If anyone is wondering how he won, since the show's editing made it clear the decision was very, very close, degustation always represents the greatest number of points available in a pastry competition.

I walked away from this season with exactly one thing on my mind- I'm makin' me one of them there fancy entremet thingy's just to know that I can!

And in the meantime, I'm going to start harassing local pastry chefs to skip the macaron craze and make the entremet "the thing" right now.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011