• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SobaAddict70 - Of Hobbits and Hurricanes

Just curious- did you have toast with the eggs and peperonata?

I try to limit carb consumption in the morning, so no toast for me.

Breakfast #1 will be 5 grams of creatine in 1 glass of water and 1 whey shake (chocolate Nitrean, 1 tablespoon olive oil, regular milk).

Breakfast #2 will have eggs of some kind. It's a little late for elevenses. :wink:

Fortunately I bought some things in anticipation of the hurricane, however for proteins and all that, I'll have to go to Citarella or the new Fairway on east 86th Street.

I *do* want to restock some things later this week, as well as visit Eataly and have dinner at a couple of restaurants downtown this week that I don't normally go to ... so I'm hoping that the subway gets up to speed quickly. Let's hope.

Ohhhhhh good!!! I can't wait to see Eataly again!

I'm glad you're back. :smile:

I broke my no-carb rule this morning and had leftover aloo gobi and rice.

I'm afraid I made way too much which means I'll have to find a couple of new ways to re-make leftovers for the next day or so. When you're cooking for one, it's always a guessing game with portion size. I have the added challenge of fulfilling my macronutrient requirements -- 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day, 175 to 180g protein. It's ok if I undereat or miscalculate from day to day though.

I have tomatoes roasting in the oven for a composed salad. Been snacking mostly on protein shakes, fruit and leftovers.

I'm on vacation so my normal mealtimes are whenever I feel like it ... dinner will be late tonight.

S.

I run into the same thing since I am generally cooking for one. The last time I overdid a similar cauliflower dish I turned it into a pan-fried fritter adding in some eggs to bind it and for protein. If you still have some raita it would be a great meal along with some sliced tomatoes. Sometimes I just pitch the rice (I know...) rather than stressing about using it though perhaps a sort of congee would be comforting in the aftermath of Irene.

The rice, I'll probably transform into plain Chinese fried rice, the way my mom makes it.

2 cups (or more) leftover cooked rice

1 clove (or more) garlic, peeled and minced

vegetable oil

patis (optional)

Heat oil in a skillet or wok. Add garlic, stir-fry until fragrant. Add rice, stir-fry until golden.

Sprinkle with patis and serve at once.

Sometimes I add scallions and/or Filipino chorizo. No egg though, that's an abomination.

026.JPG

Slow-roasted tomatoes, peperonata and hard-cooked farm egg

Slow-roasted tomatoes: Halve cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, plum tomatoes or any combination of any variety of tomatoes. Arrange, cut side up in a roasting pan or glass Pyrex baking dish. Sprinkle each slice with kosher salt and black pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Depending on the size of the tomatoes, you can roast them at 200 F for 6 to 8 hours or, for the quick version, 1 hour at 350 F. Remove from heat and use as needed.

I'll spare you the pix of my first foray into devilled eggs. Hint: Although it tasted great, green garlic pesto doesn't really look so photogenic when smushed with hard-cooked egg yolks and cayenne pepper.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Soba – so glad to see the re-do! As always your food is as gorgeous as it is delicious! I always love the care and thought that seems to go into your prep and cooking and I admire your ability to LEAVE GOOD STUFF ALONE – to let good food shine by its own merits. As a cook who has to physically restrain myself from adding just one more thing, I really love your discipline!

Scrambled eggs with ricotta is something that never occurred to me, but sounds fantastic. And they may have been ugly, but green garlic pesto deviled eggs sound wonderful!

Prepping dinner -- will be vegetarian.

It will feature a REALLY old eGullet favorite.

See y'all in a little bit.

20 layer jello mold? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Soba – so glad to see the re-do! As always your food is as gorgeous as it is delicious! I always love the care and thought that seems to go into your prep and cooking and I admire your ability to LEAVE GOOD STUFF ALONE – to let good food shine by its own merits. As a cook who has to physically restrain myself from adding just one more thing, I really love your discipline!

Scrambled eggs with ricotta is something that never occurred to me, but sounds fantastic. And they may have been ugly, but green garlic pesto deviled eggs sound wonderful!

Prepping dinner -- will be vegetarian.

It will feature a REALLY old eGullet favorite.

See y'all in a little bit.

20 layer jello mold? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Older than that. :)

Leftover aloo gobi (I *really* made way too much), plus:

048.JPG

080.JPG

Corn and Hungarian wax pepper salad, with heirloom tomatoes and scallions -- inspired by a dish by Larry Forgione at the original An American Place

Crispy okra salad (recipe here: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/crispy-okra-salad; this version has heirloom tomatoes, asafoetida and white onion)

I'm hoping train service is restored tomorrow -- some NYT articles suggest as much.

If the Greenmarket is open, I'll make a stop to get some chicken, or maybe go over to Eataly.

6039340909_768b51e137_z.jpg

I'm in the mood for roast chicken ... and maybe later in the week, salade parisienne.

Good night.

Hi there.

017.JPG

Sweet crêpes, with white peaches and Nutella

Crêpes seem to have fallen out of style. More's the pity, because they're so easy to make.

1/2 cup flour

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

a pinch of salt

1 tablespoon melted butter

3 tablespoons vanilla sugar

Mix wet ingredients first, along with sugar and salt. Gradually whisk in flour until a smooth batter is achieved.

For each crêpe, pour 1/4 cup batter on a lightly greased or oiled griddle or large skillet. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. Cook the crêpe for about 2 to 3 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula or fork, flip and cook the other side. Serve hot.

Filling consists of a little Nutella and some sliced white peaches that were peeled, then caramelized in melted butter.

We must be on the same wavelength! I'm making crepes with caramelized apricots for dessert tonight. Great minds and all that :laugh:...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Those are beautiful crepes. I'm scared to try to make them....I just know they'd turn out like lead pancakes lol.

That recipe is the most foolproof one there is, in my experience.

You really can't go wrong with it.

As opposed to a recipe for buckwheat crêpes in one of Alice Waters' cookbooks that calls for a cupful of beer. That's overcomplication for its own sake, in my opinion.

Do your really like eggs? Or is it me? I notice a lot of eggs in your cooking. (By the way, this is not a critique, I love eggs and your preparations always inspire me!)

I do love eggs but I wouldn't say "really like" as opposed to my well-documented love of pasta.

I think the fact that I have an low total cholesterol count (120 as of March 2011) has a lot to do with it.

We must be on the same wavelength! I'm making crepes with caramelized apricots for dessert tonight. Great minds and all that :laugh:...

I do want to make savory crêpes later this week.

I'll include a demo so Shelby (and others) can cook them with confidence. :raz:

122.JPG

Sautéed eggplant, peppers and summer squash with rocambole garlic and mint

Pane di Puglia

1 medium eggplant (I used 1/2 pint miniature eggplants), peeled and coarsely diced

3 bell peppers (I used 1 Hungarian wax pepper and a couple of sweet peppers), coarsely diced

1 clove rocambole garlic, peeled and thinly sliced

1 summer squash, diced

1 large heirloom tomato, chopped

1 tablespoon flour

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup olive oil

a generous handful of mint, chopped

Place eggplant in a colander over a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let drain for 30 minutes. Add flour and toss to coat.

Gently warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and fry until golden brown. Drain off most of the oil and reserve for another use. Add garlic; sauté until garlic turns a pale gold, then add squash, tomato and peppers, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are heated through, about an additional 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in chopped mint, remove from heat and serve at once.

Scored a pound and a half of mussels for $3 at USGM -- those will appear at dinner. Stay tuned.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Looks delicious - what impact does the flour have on the eggplant? i make a dish similar to this (with chilli instead of mint) but wouldnt have thought to coat the eggplant in flour, does it just make it crispier and less oily?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Looks delicious - what impact does the flour have on the eggplant? i make a dish similar to this (with chilli instead of mint) but wouldnt have thought to coat the eggplant in flour, does it just make it crispier and less oily?

I find that the eggplant will cook in less time, than if there weren't any flour to begin with.

This recipe (and other, similar Italian vegetable preps) is one great way to use up an abundance of mint.

Just to give you an idea ... I normally go through 3 to 4 bunches of parsley a week, and about half that of mint. So imagine what you could do if you grew your own.