• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Cuisine – Do any libraries circulate this book?

ScoopKW

OK, let's be frank. My goal is to read the set without shelling out $450. I would LOVE to pay $450 and own my own copy. But that isn't happening. I even agree that it's probably worth every penny. But that's 45,000 pennies I can't afford right now.

So, has anyone heard of a school/library/foundation lending the thing?

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Just my luck -- nobody for 200 miles. I know, I know. I've got knives that cost almost as much as this book. I should just break down and buy it. Problem is, I just changed careers, and I'm supplementing my income with savings, for at least the next year or two while I work my way up.

I really wish they'd release a downloadable pdf, priced around $100. That way I don't have to pay for the massive printing costs. I don't want the set to sit on a shelf and impress the hell out of nobody in particular. I just want to read the thing.

if bookstores have it, you can bet that its sealed up. I hesitated greatly at this expenditure for a long time then went for it and had to wait 5 months for the 2d printing.

it was well worth it, but as they say, everyones economy is local.

think of all the $$$$ wasted each month on cable tv when you can get over the air tv on cable very cheaply by law.

so we make a few sacrifices if we can and then save up for this book.

I cant imagine a pdf of the book for a long while: then it would buzz around the internet like crazy

lots of work went into this book and the reward for those who worked on it is justified.

I didnt get that $375 japanese knife, I just started to sharpen my collection a lot better!

My library has it - I asked them to buy it and they did. They lend it out per volume. Not sure it does you any good though.

Maybe you can request your local library to purchase a copy. After all, that's what they are there for.

Considering the SHEER VOLUME of restaurants and cooks in this town, you'd think it would be a slam-dunk to offer it through the library. Problem is, Las Vegans don't spend money on ANYTHING. Not willingly. We're the "no taxes, no services, no kidding" state.