• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

14 hours ago, kostbill said:

Also, one of the best chocolate sorbet I had (kayak) does not contain cocoa powder, only chocolate. Their chocolate ice cream is also very intense (amazing) and again, it does not contain cocoa powder.

Guessing it's because of the added fat content of the chocolate.  You could also try chocolate flavoring.  I use cocoa powder in my non-dairy ice cream (haven't tried a sorbet) and it's not gritty - again I am guessing due to the higher fat content of the rest of the ingredients.  Another trick to intensify the chocolate flavor is to also add some espresso powder.

mgaretz

mgaretz

14 hours ago, kostbill said:

Also, one of the best chocolate sorbet I had (kayak) does not contain cocoa powder, only chocolate. Their chocolate ice cream is also very intense (amazing) and again, it does not contain cocoa powder.

Guessing it's because of the added fat content of the chocolate.  You could also try chocolate flavoring.  I use cocoa powder in my non-dairy ice cream (haven't tried a sorbet) and it's not gritty - again I am guessing due to the higher fat content.  Another trick to intensify the chocolate flavor is to also add some espresso powder.