• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pizza With A Reservation

weinoo

I've been asked by a friend what my choice would be for the best place to go for pizza, but it has to take reservations because it will probably be a business dinner. And it must have a wine list, too.

My first thought was, well...I didn't really have a first thought. Any help?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My knowledge of Manhattan is minimal, but we had a great experience at Otto. The wine list is exensive and they offer DOP Napolitan pizza. The bagna cauda we ordered was amazing. http://www.ottopizzeria.com/

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I know from going to Luzzo's on Saturday that they take reservations, at least for larger groups, but they don't have much in the way of wine.

I really think Otto (which DanM mentioned) is your best and possibly only option; I think your friend will be hard pressed to find a good place that both has a wine menu AND takes reservations.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Oh yeah, they need to be able to have a conversation...

...I think your friend might be looking for the holy grail of pizza restaurants. :raz:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

The problem with 900 Degrees is that it feels like 900 degrees in the restaurant if they seat you in the section by the oven! Also, the rumble of the 1 train below can be a bit distracting. I'm not sure it's nice enough for a business dinner.

What about Peasant or Rubirosa?

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I just had a Saturday lunch last week at Adrienne's Pizzabar on Stone Street. Decent pizza, especially the old-fashioned pie, the sides are acceptable, the mark-up on some of the wines is unconscionable...and they take reservations!

It's also on one of the coolest, oldest streets in Manhattan. Quite a zoo after office-hours,too.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If you could get him out to Brooklyn - Frannys is great

From their site:

franny's cannot accommodate parties larger than 6 and does not take reservations. We are a first come, first serve restaurant and parties are seated when completed. franny's is not currently offering private events.

Co. takes reservations.

Good to know! The reservation policy does seem a little limited.

Although we welcome our guests to join us on a walk-in basis, a limited number of reservations are available for parties of six or more prior to 6:30 PM.