• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC midtown and fashion district–very short visit

toolprincess

hi all,

I am making a quickie visit to NYC and staying in the midtown Times square area.

I will be coming in on a wednesday night (should be at hotel by 8). thursday will need to grab a good breakfast before doing some business on 20th St( between 6th and 7th avenues) and later afternoon will need lunch/snack.

I have dinner reservations for Gramercy Tavern Thursday night.

Wednesday and Thursday I'll be with a mixed group who aren't all that adventurous. I would like to find some places that have good solid food (or great food) but with a wide enough variety that they have something for everyone (from the adventurous to the meat/potato types.).

Friday morning I'll also need sustenance before heading back to the airport. If I had my druthers I'd seek out nothing but asian and sushi. Asian might fly with the group but just sushi is out. :sad:

Tips! Please, it's such a short trip - help me have some gustatory satisfaction!

For a quick breakfast near 20th and 6th/7th:

City Bakery on 18th and 5th Avenue (for, say, a pretzel croissant and coffee)

Doughnut Plant on 23rd and 8th (I prefer the cake doughnuts)

La Maison du Macaron on 23rd St between 6th and 7th (FKA Madelein Patisserie, it's not just macarons, they are a French patisserie with croissants, brioche, etc.)

For lunch afterwards, you're not all that far from Eisenberg's, Shake Shack, Eataly, or ABC Kitchen.

For a group of unadventurous-to-adventurous eaters, it's really going to depend where you can get a reservation at this late point (since the trip is next week book ASAP), how much you want to spend, and the size of your group (more than 4 is big for Manhattah). I would try:

Craft

Hearth

Blue Ribbon Bakery or Brasserie

Hill Country (most picky eaters are totally OK with BBQ)

Westville

Redhead

Peels

Freemans

or perhaps pizza at Motorino/Keste/etc.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure