• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblogs: Coming Attractions

heidih

^^

For some reason the little beastie on the pie crust looks like a turtle or tortoise to me! But I must be hallucinating because that can be right...right?

That's what I thought at first, too. Then again, a turtle is a pretty familiar First Peoples symbol, and I think that crust might be full of apples and maple syrup :wink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I think it is tourtière.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Chris Hennes is right - our next blogger will be coming to us from Philadelphia - but the identity has not been mentioned. We should see an opening post tomorrow morning.

Nolnacs!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good guess!

For those of you who were speculating, the beastie on the pie is a pig - not a turtle (there might be a turtle appearance later this week though). The pie was one I made for an apple pie competition back when I lived in Chicago. It was a pork and apple pie with the bottom being apple then a layer of applewood smoked bacon and then apple cider braised pork shoulder. Oh, and EatNopales was correct, the pie crust was made with lard - according to my mom's recipe. I have yet to meet the crust that can equal what I can produce with that recipe.

The second image is of Headhouse Square which is a couple of blocks from where I live in Society Hill (a neighborhood in center city Philadelphia) and the location of a farmers market that takes place every Sunday May through December. I procure most of my fruit from there during the summer as well as some vegetables, milk and other tasty things.

The final image is of the antique handcranked meat slicer that I restored a few years back. I'm planning on starting a charcuterie project this week but I don't know if I will have an opportunity to show the slicer in action.

. . . the beastie on the pie is a pig

I knew it! Bring on the charcuterie.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

The writing behind the sign that identifies the station seems to be in english as well - looks sort of like university or something starting with V.

Carolyn Tillie?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett