• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Natural Spontaneous Yeast Fermentation in wine

Don Giovanni

Natural Spontaneous Yeast Fermentation in wine and the winner is...?

Crack Yeast's DNA Code

Saccharomyces cerevisiae 99.9% of the time... it's just the law of nature...now I have proof due to some great scientist investigation in the origin of beer yeast...

many wineries build marketing promotions around Natural Spontaneous Yeast Fermentation concept... like it's something really special...I say it's great marketing and that's about it...

Unless you reverse osmosis the juice and sterile filter down to .05 microns and that will only take up to 80% of the yeast out... you will still have a population of yeast that will most likely be Saccharomyces cerevisiae... some cultured yeast strains will work in a very sterile environment, but preventing contamination of the mother yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae would be futile by nature... you will have this yeast cling to cloths, wood, dust and just about every host you can think of...

Now if you experiment with gene splicing Saccharomyces cerevisiae same as they do in the medical field looking for changes yeast caused by a gene that can turn on or produces a unique function... (I might add my son did this one summer as a intern and it's very tedious and the chances you can change and control the yeast are very rare)... it takes years to produce a stable change in one gene and they usually publish the data it's that rare...

so now we have beer yeast found in South America that ends up in Europe somehow (this alone is an argument in it of itself) and are hybrid strain of a kind of yeast to produce a distinctive beer...still the mother is Saccharomyces cerevisiae and the hybrid is a very strong one that give distinct tastes... was this done by nature...?... probably not , as they have not been able to find it in the wild... this bring to mind that humans have been involved in hybridization of yeast long before anyone would think ... that said the yeast that most likely finished your fermentation is Saccharomyces cerevisiae no matter how good the story behind it is...unless you have as in this case a new strain and the odds of this are slim...

Click On Me

Scientists Solve Lager Beer Mystery, Crack Yeast's DNA Code