• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lungs

sheepish

Everytime I get a sheep or pig back from the abattoir I get the lungs. The bulk of these get thrown behind the house. The dogs eat a bit. Other stuff eats them. They don't last long.

Thus far I have enjoyed a few cubes of lung with kidney and heart in a barbequed kebab. I've also made haggis a few times. Other than that nothing much has inspired me. Except I noticed recently "Husband and Wife Lung Slices" on the menu at RednHot in Manchester - sadly online, I haven't been. Anyone got an idea how to prepare this?

Or any other recommended lung preperations? I have recipes in "Silver Spoon" and "The Fifth Quarter", but would be interested in recommendations based on experience.

Ta

Everytime I get a sheep or pig back from the abattoir I get the lungs. The bulk of these get thrown behind the house. The dogs eat a bit. Other stuff eats them. They don't last long.

Thus far I have enjoyed a few cubes of lung with kidney and heart in a barbequed kebab. I've also made haggis a few times. Other than that nothing much has inspired me. Except I noticed recently "Husband and Wife Lung Slices" on the menu at RednHot in Manchester - sadly online, I haven't been. Anyone got an idea how to prepare this?

Or any other recommended lung preperations? I have recipes in "Silver Spoon" and "The Fifth Quarter", but would be interested in recommendations based on experience.

Ta

Pig Lung tacos are pretty common (and delicious) in Mexico City. If you can obtain or make corn tortillas & a decent tomatillo based salsa... you should give these a try.

The easiest way to cook them is to put them in a slow cooker with water, salt, bay leaves, garlic, all spice berries, juice of two limes or lemons, rind & juice of 1 orange... cook them low & slow until tender... remove them from the pot, slice them into 1/2 palm size pieces, drain then sautee in butter until the exterior is nice & browned... finally chop them into bite size pieces.. put on some griddled corn tortillas, garnish with finely diced raw white onions, chopped cilantro & a tomatillo based salsa of your preference.

Oh yeah enjoy with a nice hoppy beer that has some citrus notes.

I've had pork lungs in rice congee once. Bleh. Never again.

Yeah but you can never write off an ingredient until Mexican cooks have had a shot at it :wink:

Tell me this doesn't look delicious? (Yes some of the cuts in their are Bofe / lung)

22248.jpg

LOL - I'd certainly give that a try - I never turn down something new!

The lung congee was a turn-off was I think the preparation. It was essentially boiled, and had a really soggy, spongey, flabby boiled texture to it - didn't like the way it felt in my mouth.

Now YOUR way, on the other hand, don't sound soggy, spongey, flabby & boiled - they look really good, I'll definately snarf a couple of your lung tacos down!

Pass the beer!

Except I noticed recently "Husband and Wife Lung Slices" on the menu at RednHot in Manchester

FWIW "Husband and Wife Lung Slices" (Fu qi fei pian) rarely actually has any lung in it, the word in this specific instance seems to be a casual reference to offal in general. The dish is usually made with tripe, tongue, kidney, etc, but no lung.

It's delicious, but I'm not sure learning that recipe will really help you work through your supply of lungs...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I remember eating and liking "sour lungs" (translated) in Bavaria, but my guess is they might be made with beef lungs, though I can look that up. Was basically a stew kind of thing with a nice sour tang to it, quite tasty actually. But it's been a long time since I had it.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums (though I've been lurking for ages).  I have a recipe to share, and a question to ask.

Last night, I finished the sous vide stage of Serious Eats's tacos de lengua.  I'm going to make the sauce for them closely following the recipe in 'Odd Bits' by Jennifer Mclagan, but I had a bite or two already.  It's incredibly delicious, and the cooking liquid is just fabulous.  Also, the skin came off very easily in two big pieces only minutes after removing it from the bath.  Thought I'd share!

Question: has anyone got any advice on cooking lungs sous vide?  It's really hard to find references to anything of the sort, as lungs aren't legal for sale in the US for human consumption.  I figured if anyone had any ideas, it would be here.  Care to help?

Edited by termite (log)

you would have to be very very hungry to eat lungs.  think of them as an animals 'air filters'

:wacko:

the animal probably doesn't smoke, so at least you got that going in your favor.

:cool:

let us know.  if we don't hear from you  ........

:huh:

BTW  welcome to eG.

the Mecca for SV on the Web.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I grew up in an Eastern European household (at least as far as the cooking tradition goes), and ate lungs on pretty regular basis.  I remember finding them delicious as a kid.  Yep, I was that weird kid ;)

So, gurus of SV Mecca, tell me how to recreate such deliciousness in my rather modern kitchen!  And thanks for the welcome! :)

OK

1 ) are they tender ?    if so, you need not be concerned w the ' tenderizing' aspect of SV  also they have very little muscle and probably

little connective tissue. I assume any bronchial cartilage has been removed.

so   .....   Id do  140 until pasteurized.   

you will have to look that up, here, as an exercise.

BTW  i bet it was the 'sauce' you remember, 'Lights' might not have a lot of taste

still   love to see your report w pics !

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums (though I've been lurking for ages).  I have a recipe to share, and a question to ask.

Last night, I finished the sous vide stage of Serious Eats's tacos de lengua.  I'm going to make the sauce for them closely following the recipe in 'Odd Bits' by Jennifer Mclagan, but I had a bite or two already.  It's incredibly delicious, and the cooking liquid is just fabulous.  Also, the skin came off very easily in two big pieces only minutes after removing it from the bath.  Thought I'd share!

Question: has anyone got any advice on cooking lungs sous vide?  It's really hard to find references to anything of the sort, as lungs aren't legal for sale in the US for human consumption.  I figured if anyone had any ideas, it would be here.  Care to help?

did you really mean lungs?

or are you referring to the lengua (tongue)?

Lungs are great but I haven't cooked them sous vide.

You're only practical sourcing option may be reaching out to a farmer directly.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW "Husband and Wife Lung Slices" (Fu qi fei pian) rarely actually has any lung in it, the word in this specific instance seems to be a casual reference to offal in general. The dish is usually made with tripe, tongue, kidney, etc, but no lung.

Indeed. I've looked through my collection of China published cookbooks (in Chinese) and none of them include lungs in "Husband and Wife Lung" recipes. Most contain beef, beef liver, beef heart and beef tongue.

That said there are lung dishes in parts of China. I've eaten it in restaurants, and seen it in the market, but have no recipes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

They are? Why? (Unless you mean human lungs ;-)

US Department of Agriculture regulations 310.16 a:  "Livestock lungs shall not be saved for use as human food."

I'm not sure but I believe the reason is because of tuberculosis.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou