• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diwali Party

aneja_r

Dear All

Diwali is just couple of months away. I need suggestions about menu for Diwali party. I would be expecting around 60-70 guests and its not a formal dinner. It is more like open house where people can come in the evening at their convenient time. I need to serve plenty of snacks like items which are tradional as well as can kind of substitute for dinner. Would greatly appreciate suggestions.....

Diwali is primarily about sweets...the more the better, and the sweeter the better! So things like gulab jamun, jalebi, kheer and the like are piled on in grand style. I would recommend that if you live in the vicinity of an Indian sweet shop, you leave it to the experts and just buy a small assortment. Indian sweets can be difficult for the western palate as they are extremely sugary, so you might offer a few more standard western style sweets done up to look a bit indian, such as mehndi decorated cookies and things like that.

For savories, I am always happy to see various chaats, especially chaat papri, and of course samosas, aloo tikki and tandoori chicken...well, anything, really :smile: Things that keep well in a warming tray like butter chicken, dahl, etc are always good. And I can highly recommend the baked indian rice recipe at epicurious. Perfect every time.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

From your description of the event, I'm thinking finger food would be good. Consider chicken wings -- tandoori or something similar. Kefta kebabs. Prawns with mint/coriander chutney. Samosas. Tons of simple things you can do and many of them can be made in advance and frozen.

Veg samosas,Bhelpuri, pakoras, onion bhajis, spicy chilli chaats... Some nice dips/salsas with store bought naans and mini pappadams. You could do mini tandoori veg skewers with some hard tofu as well. Corn on the cobs with a spicy butter would be good too but i think Jenni has to be the expert when it comes to vegetarian Indian food..........

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man