• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Portland informal lunch place?

veil

I will be driving up to Bangor on Wednesday, and will have driven 3.5 hours by the time I get to Portland, so I'll be hungry! What's a lunch place that is open on Wednesday, that will tolerate shorts, a T-shirt, and flip-flops (not to mention the cranky woman who will be wearing them), that is a "not-to-be-missed"? It will have to be quick (takeout is even OK), as I'll have 2 dogs in the car (so safe parking for them is also a consideration).

Any kind of cuisine is OK (but a dodgy part of town is not). I'm spoiled by having lived in the Rhinebeck/Hyde Park area for years, with the gazillion foodplaces started by CIA grads.

Also, any recommendations for Bangor-and-environs food places will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi, Veil. This is a no brainer. Go to Duck Fat on Middle St. in Portland. Get the duck confit sandwich, the fries (they're fried in duck fat, thus the name) and a draft. Sit at an outside table and bring the doggies. After lunch, go diagonally across the street to Micucchio's-- not sure of spelling but you'll see it-- for some Italian delicacies which aren't easily found elsewhere. If time allows, trot a block up the street and visit the brewery store at Shipyard. It is an easy on/off from the highway. Use exit 7, Franklin St, and watch for the big brick church. Middle st. is next left.

• 2 weeks later...

Took your advice, and had exactly that. Except that the doggies couldn't join me, because the 2 patio tables were occupied, it was perfection! And Micucci's was great, too--got a loaf of focaccia, a bag of their 3-cheese ravioli, and a half-pound of dried wild mushrooms at a good price.

And had the Allagash White--extraordinary.

Edited by veil (log)