• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2012 – UK

Bit of a late response to Simon, but I'd be shocked if Gregan's doesn't get a star this year. There won't be any movement in the North. Looks like another year with no Michelin stars for NI. The inspectors were out in force here but with all the eating I've done here, no one meets the requirements this year (unless we get a pity star). Expecting Chris Bell to possibly bring one to the River Room at Galgorm in 2013 but he's taken over in the kitchen a month or two, so definitely won't be this year.

Have you been to the Salty Dog yet? Derek Creagh, former head chef of Deanes is there, one on my list to get to.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the Bibs in Ireland too...

Pastry chef Montacer Mansour is a real highlight for the Salty Dog, Derek's food is amazing but for me, everytime I go, I'm counting down the seconds until I can order dessert. There isn't anyone else in the North producing the exciting kind of desserts that he is. SD is well worth a visit, and while you're there have a nip into the Boat House across the way.

The Bibs is the interesting bit for me (unless I've egg on my face and we actually get a star). I'm expecting a bit of movement. Cayenne will definitely keep a bib and Oregano should hold on, but Restaurant 23 could go either way. But I definitely expect more bibs here. For me, there's at least another bib in Northern Ireland, possibly two.

Michelin 2012

This year’s guide sees the first British pub to be awarded two Michelin stars. The Hand and Flowers in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, was opened by Tom and Beth Kerridge in 2005 and received its first Michelin star the following year.

Editor Rebecca Burr said “This is a good news story for the British pub industry and confirms our view that pubs serving good food are the ones that continue to thrive. In the 2012 guide we are delighted to have 13 pubs with Michelin stars”.

At the Hand and Flowers, Tom’s cooking has risen to new heights. His dishes are sophisticated yet familiar, and are a perfect match for the relaxed surroundings of his charming pub”.

The second restaurant to be promoted to two star level in the 2012 edition of the guide is Restaurant Sat Bains in Nottingham. Sat’s cooking has always been original and creative and now focus has been added to the flair. The restaurant gained its first star in 2003.

This year’s guide, published for the first time before Christmas, sees a wide geographical spread of new stars, stretching from the Driftwood Hotel in Portscatho, Cornwall to Glenapp Castle in Ballantrae, Scotland. There are three new stars in Scotland, one in Wales and four in London, which include ‘Dinner by Heston Blumenthal’. There are also three new pubs with one star.

The guide also highlights those restaurants that represent value for money. We are therefore delighted that this year a further 28 restaurants have been awarded a Bib Gourmand, the award given to those establishments offering good cooking but at moderate prices.

Rebecca Burr said “Our readers have told us how much they enjoy these places so we are very pleased that our inspectors have found so many new ones, particularly in London”.

Also launched today is the Michelin Guide London 2012, priced at £10.99(€12.99 in Ireland). This guide provides extended text on London’s restaurants, with additional photographs and information on all starred establishments. It also includes a selection of London’s best hotels, across all categories.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Surprised at The Bingham losing its star also, had a pretty decent meal there.

Pied a Terre losing one is a real downer for them I bet.

I had no doubt they would not leave out Pollen Street Social.

Really disappointed for Simon Rogan. When is it going to happen for him?

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Unbelievable , the Lenclume team...and fans must be banging their heads against the walls in shock....Something very suspect going on inside Michelin HQ.I`ll be eating at Lenclume tomorrow and know only too well that it certainly lives up to its placing of Number 2 in the UK....Thanks to the Good food guide.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

Good to see my early predication for "Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond" come to pass.

And, of course, congratulations to Sat - our "best" UK meal so far this year and "second best" overall.

Surprised at La Becasse losing its star - based on lunch a few weeks back.

John Hartley

I'm not sure it is a shame there are no new 3 stars :unsure: Where is there that really aspires to reach 3 stars? Plenty would like to have them but I'm not sure I can say hand on heart that there is anywhere that I've eaten at recently in the UK that truly deserves to be promoted to the top tier. Compared to the French 3* there isn't a two star that is remotely close to that sort of standard (I'll reserve judgement on the Ledbury, I'm eating there for the first time in a while in a few weeks).

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I've never understood why no second star for Martin Wishart Edinburgh. Several of the Edinburgh one stars are better than any two star restaurant I've ever eaten in, but MW I think just stands out for consistency while also keeping things fresh and interesting.

EDIT: Edited because might be a lie. Hibiscus in Ludlow was maybe two stars - now that was good.

Edited by cfm (log)

I've never understood why no second star for Martin Wishart Edinburgh. Several of the Edinburgh one stars are better than any two star restaurant I've ever eaten in, but MW I think just stands out for consistency while also keeping things fresh and interesting.

I agree, MW's food has that 2* feel. That said the overall experience at the Peat Inn in Fife is better for me.

Things that occur to me:

1) They list the head chefs for the *** restaurants (not the name on the door) which I don't remember seeing before. That's welcome as these guys (and ladies) are underrated. After all who remembers who Rob Reid and Paul Rhodes nowadays?

2) Shame seeing Ynyshir Hall down again. If my memory is right that place seems to go up and down more times than a yo-yo.

3) What happened to the espoirs? Has Mich given up on them? (They have always seemed a bit random)

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I'm not sure it is a shame there are no new 3 stars :unsure: Where is there that really aspires to reach 3 stars? Plenty would like to have them but I'm not sure I can say hand on heart that there is anywhere that I've eaten at recently in the UK that truly deserves to be promoted to the top tier. Compared to the French 3* there isn't a two star that is remotely close to that sort of standard (I'll reserve judgement on the Ledbury, I'm eating there for the first time in a while in a few weeks).

Well that's another thing. Michelin keep telling us the stars are for the food - if that's the case, why are there not more in the UK? Or is it, like most of us believe, a case of 3* being reserved for more than just the food?