• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Travelling into the Seattle from Canada - What should I bring back?

OldFashioned

The British Columbia liquor stores are not known for their wide selection of interesting spirits, nor for the variety of the stuff they do carry. So my question to you is what should a guy bring back from the states that he can't get in Canada? Or if you live in Canada, what do you bring back when you travel?

he

I like to drink all kinds of stuff but lean towards stronger flavors. In the past I've scooped up: Rittenhouse BiB, Cynar, Applejack.

I'm thinking a Rhum like La Favorite, or Gin like Old Tom. Basically something interesting. Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Edited by OldFashioned (log)

If you're looking for something in particular, you can use the liquor control board's site to find the stores that carry it. http://liq.wa.gov/

You can use the Brand Search tool: http://www.liq.wa.gov/LCBhomenet/StoreInformation/BrandSearch.aspx to find exactly what bottles are in which stores. Troll around and see if you find anything interesting.

PS: I am a guy.

I have used the Washington Liquor website and its pretty great. Easy to see what stores products can be found in. I'm mostly interested in what anyone can recommend as good buys. I Briefly looked at the Pacific Distillery website and realized they make Voyager Gin, which I've heard good things about. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi, fellow Canadian travel scavenger here.

I usually focus on (sub)categories that are weak in my home area: american straight rye, exotic rum, high quality liqueurs and unavailable amaros & aperatifs.

Stuff available in higher proof versions (such as gin) is also of interest.

I see you've covered American straight rye (rittenhouse) and I agree you should grab some agricole (the La Favorite blanc is a decent place to start).

You can certainly go deeper in either category, but those are excellent starting points.

Are you driving?

If so, Lemon Hart 151. Strong flavour in spades, used primarily (sparingly) in Tiki drinks. Not a sipper, but irreplaceable in certain recipes.

Only for land travel, mind you. The airlines don't appreciate products above 140 proof.

Other strong and/or distinctive (and more airline friendly) flavours:

Hayman's Old Tom Gin - don't make the mistake of buying the Hayman's gin liqueur, it's not the same thing.

Smith & Cross Jamaica Rum - funky, deep and rich

Carpano Antica Vermouth - a powerhouse italian vermouth

Batavia Arrack von Oosten - Incredibly funky, used in classic punch recipes and some adventuresome modern cocktails. (not a sipper, usually)

Any amaro you don't recognize - always an adventure

Any of the Del Maguey mezcals - not cheap, but a smoky experience different from that of tequila

George Dickel #12 - If you'd like an introduction to the Tennessee spirit that isn't Jack Daniels

Also, you might consider grabbing some of the wonderful cocktail bitters that are available, though many can be mail ordered in BC if required.

• Like 1

Just make sure you know exactly how much you are allowed to bring back, because they charge 200% of the sticker price as duty on anything over the limit.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Just make sure you know exactly how much you are allowed to bring back, because they charge 200% of the sticker price as duty on anything over the limit.

Yeah, it seems most provinces really take it to you above the duty free allotment.

Alberta's got a flat provincial markup, but most others have a high percent-of-purchase-price based markup.