• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lockhart on their game today!

SpaghettiWestern

Well..... its been a while since i have had time to drive over to Lockhart and get a load of brisket and ribs from Blacks and Smitty's..... but today... it was a last minute decision.

Hotter that **** here but i HAD to go because in 10 days i have to leave the area again and wont be back home till November.... HAD to have my Lockhart fix.

Anyway.... Blacks was first..... got there at about 11:30A and only a few people in line... only one table occupied.

i asked for fatty moist brisket and ribs and i GOT what i was after.

BUT... the price now is up to $11.98/ pound.

they gave me tons of sauce and a loaf of bread to go.

i headed over to Smitty and the line was not out the door in the back.... but the cutting room was packed with people waiting to place their orders. AND.... what made it interesting was that fire to the right when you walk in ...it

jacks the temp. up 10 degrees.

GREAT in the winter BUT!.... the thermometer on the wall read 112 deg ! add THAT to the temp outside today

of nearly 100 deg.

YEP ! it was SOOOO hot but..... well worth the wait.

the dining room was LOADED with people... everyone seemed to be enjoying the ribs and links and MOUNDS of brisket!

BIG FAT Juicy ribs and good fatty brisket !

i got out of there quick and headed for home with my stash. I couldnt make myself wait till i had a portion on the plate... as soon as i opened it i bit into one of those ribs from Blacks.

ALL i can say is WOW ! so smokey and tender with such a deep rich flavor.... i almost couldnt stop.

And the brisket was AMAZING ! Smokey and tender and MELT in your mouth !

Same as well for Smitty's.... REALLY good... but Blacks is STILL my favorite.

theres a reason these places are top of the heap. sometimes i forget when i buy from other smoke pits how good Lockhart really is.... untill i go back there again

ALL i can say is YUMMMM !

I havent had time to get to Snows yet or Franklins but i will shoot for doing that later in the year.

Sorry i dont have any pics....still need to buy a decent camera.

Anyway....just wanted to let you know that Lockhart is STILL crankin it out and its PURE HEAVEN if you catch them on a good day.

Ha- saw Luling in a post two below this one on the big board and got all excited, thinking 'All right! Talking about barbecue!' Then I saw that it was about watermelon. I like watermelon, but not as much as barbecue, so I was a little disappointed.

Then my eyes scrolled up and saw this post. My heart leaped.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear they were on. We made a trip down there a couple months ago and were - likewise - not disappointed. There are others in Texas that can make a mad brisket, but Lockhart really is like barbecue heaven to me.

You are a brave soul facing Smitty's in this heat! In the summer, I make the boyfriend go in while I wait in the car with the AC on. lol.

Yes, yes, it's good. The last time we went we were a little dissapointed as the brisket was dry, but I think it's because it was the same weekend as the Luling Watermelon Thump and they were CRAZY busy.

I'm really looking forward to winter (-ish, what passes for winter). I love going to Smitty's when it's gloomy and cold and no one's around. Best time ever.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Ha- saw Luling in a post two below this one on the big board and got all excited, thinking 'All right! Talking about barbecue!' Then I saw that it was about watermelon. I like watermelon, but not as much as barbecue, so I was a little disappointed.

Then my eyes scrolled up and saw this post. My heart leaped.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear they were on. We made a trip down there a couple months ago and were - likewise - not disappointed. There are others in Texas that can make a mad brisket, but Lockhart really is like barbecue heaven to me.

watermelon is my favorite in the summer. that seems to be the only time i eat it. but BBQ is an all year round thing. but... i'm not fussed about the watermelon anymore as i seem to be comming up with good melons from HEB

where else do you like to go for 'mad' brisket?

You are a brave soul facing Smitty's in this heat! In the summer, I make the boyfriend go in while I wait in the car with the AC on. lol.

Yes, yes, it's good. The last time we went we were a little dissapointed as the brisket was dry, but I think it's because it was the same weekend as the Luling Watermelon Thump and they were CRAZY busy.

I'm really looking forward to winter (-ish, what passes for winter). I love going to Smitty's when it's gloomy and cold and no one's around. Best time ever.

YESSS ! I love going to Smitty's when its cold and gloomy. going in the back door when the fire is roaring is so welcoming. AND .... when nobodys around you get to take your time ordering ... making sure you get what you want.

any weekday in the winterish months... after 2pm is usually VERRRY quiet.

i didnt mind the heat THAT much..... with Smittys.. half the fun is going into the place to take in the smells lol

i forgive them when they have a misstep because i know they usually get it right.

But... i have to say..... i look over the meat as they weigh it and if its not satisfactory.... i ask for better.

for me..... its the fatty , well marbled meat.... want it to melt in my mouth.

i look forward to comming back in november and going to Smittys when the cool has set in.

thanks for your post.