• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Star fruit

sabg

I have about 50 star fruit and access to tree with hundreds....I can't stand to see anything wasted...any ideas ? I have been putting everything ...fruit, mushrooms, onions, cheese tomaotes into pie crusts fornrustic tarts...can u bake star fruit ? I have so many I would take any ideas and practice

No fair! I pay at least $3.00 a piece for starfruit, when I can find some that aren't beat up. I think you can candy it, but I'm not sure how good that would taste...

If you were doing a tart, I'd say it might make more sense to just do a basic pate sucree and fill with pastry cream, then top with slices of starfruit. I'd assume the lovely crunchy texture would be lost in baking.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Carambolas make a lovely juice, from which you can go towards ice creams or sorbets (or just drink 'em) - they're in season down here at the moment and they're practically being given away at the market, something like 50+ for a dollar. I've never tried baking, which I assume would work, but I have grilled slices coated in panela before and that was quite tasty - it preserved the crunch and sort of caramelized the panela.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

A couple of years ago I was given a big bag of star fruit and found this site.

I made the star fruit chutney, the star fruit mui, the Down Island salsa and a couple of the salads. I dried some, then candied it but used the syrup in which I had candied ginger - nice combination of flavors.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett