• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chapter One or Thornton's?

I'm travelling to Dublin 14 September and I'm thorn between the two restaurants above. Mind, this is on a budget, so I prefer lunch. Which one is better? At the moment I'm leaning to Chapter One.

Also looking for other high-end venues that might be off my radar. Visited Patrick Guilbaud last time I was in town, and while it was rather good, I was not blown away. Is there anything I really need to check out? I've read most of the other Dublin related threads, but most of them are rather old, or I already visited the mentioned places. Fresh input would be highly appreciated.

Also, good quality pub food tips would be very welcome. Thanks!

Edited by Betamax (log)

Thortons edges it for food. Their set lunch is one of the best bargains in the city.

For high end that might not be on your radar, try Dax (www.dax.ie) or Restaurant 41 (www.residence.ie).

Others worth checking out for good food in less formal settings are:

Locks Brasserie

China Sichuan

Pichet

Pig's Ear

Winding Stair

For decent gastro pub food and a great selection of artisan beer and whiskey, try Mulligans on Manor Street ( www.lmulligangrocer.ie)

Enjoy!

I'd choose Thornton's for food and Chapter One for atmosphere, but you can't really go wrong with either. I like the Guilbaud's experience, but I'm not always blown away by the food either, so I know what you mean there.

Along with Patrick's list I might throw in Pearl Brasserie, but I'd prefer Dax. Neither are cutting-edge high-end, but I find Dax consistently enjoyable. You could consider Bon Appetit in Malahide (you could take the Dart if you're so inclined), although I've never been myself so I can't comment.

I really must give Residence a go at some point myself.

I'm traveling to Ireland in September also, so thanks for these recommendations.

I have an etiquette question -- would it be acceptable to bring my 6-month-old son to a place like Mulligan's for an early dinner (say, 17:30)? My wife and I know we won't be able to do fancy dinners out with him but are hoping that gastropubs and less formal places would be okay with an infant at that time of day. He's still on the liquid diet so wouldn't be ordering anything. :wink:

This seems to be acceptable here in the States (given the number of families we see at early Saturday dinners at our local gastropubs). Just wondering if the same is true in Ireland.

Thanks!

BROG, a beer blog

Actually I think you might find yourself welcome in lots of fancier restaurants at the earlier stage of the spectrum (6pm or thereabouts), so I wouldn't rule them out completely. If there's anywhere you fancy, I'd just call in advance. In any case, I'd say you'd certainly be welcome in pubs (not that there are many true gastropubs in Ireland) and less formal restaurants, but be aware that by law, children must leave pubs by 9pm (10pm during the summer, which I think ends on September 30th for the purposes of this). I don't think that's going to hamper you anyway.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

• 4 months later...

I'm travelling to Dublin in a few weeks and would be grateful for any views on this question based on recent experience. I'm leaning towards Thorntons (one of the group is a vegetarian and they seem to have better options) but I'm open to views!

Thanks

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally made it to Dublin and had dinner in Thorntons. The food was good, we went for their 'a la carte' at euro78. 3/4 choices for each course. My partner had the vegetarian version. The food was very good, as good 1star cooking as I have had but the portions were very small and it was expensive. I realised the £ to euro exchange rate does not help but it was still over priced. The menu was fine but it was the add ons.

We started with 2 glasses of champagne. The only champage they do by the glass (except rose) is a Bollinger at e23 a glass. Two half bottles of wine (a Sancerre at e35 and a Gevrey Chambertin at e55) added to the bill. The wines were good and not to badly priced for half bottles. Two glasses of dessert wine at e15 were pushing it for value for money and a mint tea at e7 was well over priced. With service the total bill came to e377.

The food was well executed, presented beautifully and well served. The portion sizes were more suited to the tasting menu and needed to be larger for a 3 course offering even with an extra amuse to start and a pre dessert.

The vegetarian menu was excellent although also suffered from being small portions.

Would I go back - yes but I would have the tasting menu, skip a glass of champagne and mint tea.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Next time you're in Dublin you need to try the Greenhouse. I'll start a thread about that eventually...

I'll totally second the Greenhouse. Outstanding meal! for some reason it reminded me of the old days of Thyme in Clapham. Don't know why.