• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miniature Ice Cream

Toliver

Ice_cream_pic.jpg

There's a new size in ice cream cartons...the miniature. See the picture above.

I consumed the contents of both containers (someone has to take one for the team :wink: ) and took this picture of the two containers side by side.

On the left is a pint container from Ben & Jerry's (proudly announcing on the lid that it's still a pint-sized container where some other brands are not). On the right is the newest size of ice cream containers coming in at 3.6 fluid ounces. I lifted up the lid on the small container to show you that it comes with a tiny spoon inside (at least the Häagen-Dazs version does). I noticed most major brands were selling this new small size of ice cream (including Ben & Jerry's).

I have to say that I think it offers just enough ice cream for a snack/dessert. It's a shade smaller than the size of a scoop of ice cream you'd get when buying a Thrifty's ice cream cone scooped fresh in the store.

So what do you think? Has anyone else tried them?

It could be a great way to sample a lot of different flavors since you're not investing in a half-gallon size (or whatever size it has been downgraded to these days). Plus, it could add a new twist to making desserts like a banana split with the different flavors of these mini-ice creams instead of the usual suspects (vanilla, chocolate and strawberry).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Of course, I'm a sucker for the single serving packaging but what's the price for this privilege?

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

this has been a blessing to us with my mother-in-law. her idea of dinner would be a full pint of ice cream. with her going in for knee replacement we could use the minis as a treat and have her eat healthier foods like fish or chicken or homemade soups.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Of course, I'm a sucker for the single serving packaging but what's the price for this privilege?

I saw a report of suggested retail $5.49 per box of (5) cones

this has been a blessing to us with my mother-in-law. her idea of dinner would be a full pint of ice cream. with her going in for knee replacement we could use the minis as a treat and have her eat healthier foods like fish or chicken or homemade soups.

I didn't know my daughter-in-law posted here!! (I already got my new knee last year, honey!) :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have reformed in my old age, no more pints of ice cream--I don't buy any ice cream because I eat the whole thing. But I will look at these and see if they are appropriate for an ocasional treat for a Type 2.

sparrowgrass

There's little competition for a Dove Bar! That said, I like the idea of a sampler size (if it's cheaper)for as others have said: trying varieties 2)portion control.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm almost 60 years old and I remember individual serving cups of ice cream from when I was a young child - you got a wooden "spoon" that was flat and spoon shaped (I see there is a plastic spoon in the lid) and you used it to scrape every nugged out.

These were not meant to be "take home", although you could buy a package of them to take home. It is easier to give a child a cup than to spoon the child out a portion. But I believe that these have been found for a long time. Blue Bunny Ice Cream Cups are well described on the net. A cup is 49 grams, which is 1.72 ounces, a small child's portion. That portion is probably small compared to the cup above. But it is a 100 calorie cup, speaking of portion control.

Edited by Brasshopper (log)

SousVideOrNotSousVide - Seller of fine Artificial Ingredients such as Lactisole through Amazon.Com....

I've seen these around for the last probably 5 or so years in the LA area. As a single, I love them. I like ice cream, but don't *adore* it, and I used to toss a whole lot of leftover half pints because they'd gotten nasty after being forgotten in the freezer for 6 months (or a year, or two). But sometimes I just want a little tiny bit of icey creamy numminess. These have the advantage of not getting ice crystals, like the pints do after they've been opened (even though I'm vigilant about pressing plastic wrap down onto the surface after I've opened and scooped, they still are not the same as a virgin container). I usually have a couple or 3 in the freezer for when the ice cream urge hits.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I think these are being marketed to the folks who stop in to grab lunch on their break. I wouldn't bother with them, because I'm capable of measuring out ice cream from a container, but the mini cones and Dove minis, etc, are good snacks for someone who's carb-watching as I am (type 2 & pregnant), too. The mini cones, bars, etc have the extra shell or cone to give them a reason for being. :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Well, if you do the math, they're quite expensive compared to the pint of Ben & Jerry's. The pint was on sale for $2.99 and the dinky cup was about $1.25. I've seen them on sale for something like 5 for $5.00, which is still pricey for the amount you get. Pricing a half-gallon (or whatever size it's been down-sized to these days) it's a far better deal per ounce for the larger size.

That being said, being able to grab five dinky cups of five different flavors is a bonus in my book. Plus, as others have mentioned, the portion is just about right...satisfying without the guilt of demolishing an entire pint in one sitting. :shock::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have not seen those, but I hardly ever look at the frozen section. I like the mini cones though, party size or what ever they call them. Perfect size for the kids and myself as well, I don't have much of a sweet tooth. But I love a cone here and there and with the small size there's less mess to clean up from what the kids let melt and drop and melt and drop and drop and.....

They actually get to finish it before it turns into a milk shake ;-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Bought 2 of the single cups of Edy's ice cream last night, they were on sale $1.00 each. I consider it portion control, since the pints of various brands were on sale for $3.00, a better value. One cup had 190 calories, I had Apple Pie flavor which was pretty sweet and I was glad I didn't have a larger amount of it, since I didn't love it.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde