• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread in Vancouver: I know it's been asked, has it been answered?

I recently moved from Victoria to Vancouver and was surprised to find a lack of great bread. So far the best has been Ace Bakery bread at the Superstore!!!!!!!!!

I've been spoiled by Wild Fire and Fol Epi and Church Bakery in Comox.

I realize this question keeps getting asked but I'm still stuck on where to get decent, slow rised, natural yeast, possibly wide fired oven bread.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond Bread (aka Transylvanian Bakery) on W4th, near Alma makes delicious slow risen, hearty, substantial breads. No longer wood fired as they were at their previous location but their peasant loaf is still my favourite bread in Vancouver

A similar style bakery, Romania Bakery can be found in Steveston. They do have a wood burning oven I think.

Also look out for Whistler's Purebread at the farmers markets ( - interesting variety of artisanal breads (I love their honey-lavender bread). Find their schedule here: http://www.purebread.ca/#!markets

• 1 month later...