• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RedFarm - 529 Hudson Street

weinoo

This was a tasting for friends and family, so...

It's nice to have Joe Ng back in the kitchen. And with Schoenfeld running the FOH, the food was flowing smoothly out of said kitchen last night. A friends and family where you actually get to eat - comfortably and fillingly. These guys are pros, and it shows, and obviously RedFarm has had a head start at Food Parc (where I've never been, btw).

As anyone who has eaten at Chinatown Brasserie knows, Ng's food, at its best, is both playful and delicious. Here's a sample, the Pac Man Shrimp Dumplings...

2011_)08_16 Pac Man Shrimp Dumpling.jpg

They were tasty too; and yes - that's guacamole supporting a fried slice of sweet potato, chasing Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde. There are a number of tasty sounding vegetable dishes on the menu which I didn't get to try; I'll try to report more once I get back and start paying for my food.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On a return trip Friday night, the food was nothing less than delicious. And as a friend of a friend and family, in a group of 5, we got to try so many things. There is no doubt that Joe Ng and Eddie Schoenfeld are capable of putting out some mighty fine food, and with the sourcing they're doing for a lot of their product, it rises way above what passes for Asian food in so many establishments.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Wow. That is so creative! I love the idea of delicious food being playful as well. Definitely on my list for my next trip to NYC.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Some friends and I tried a few small dishes at Red Farm over the weekend. We really enjoyed everything: the cocktails, all the dim-sum and starters, the place itself, the service, chatting with Ed...

Sadly we were in the midst of a food crawl, after several good snacks, and on our way to dinner, so we didn't sample any of the larger plates, or even as many of the smaller ones as we might have wanted, but I'm really glad we stopped here, and I'm looking forward to having a full meal here soon.

They're doing an interesting thing here, actually a couple of interesting things: integrating traditional techniques with a contemporary search-the-greenmarket sensibility, and letting the chef be whimsical and even tricky.

A couple of dishes were overtly surprising in different ways. Mushroom Springrolls sounded pedestrian, so we didn't bother ordering them. But Ed was kind enough to send out a couple of orders anyway, because he thought we'd appreciate them. I'm so glad we got to try them. They were perfectly-executed grease-free crispy cylinders filled with fresh, vibrantly flavorful wild mushrooms. Ohm, and they're kind of fun too, with their flowery tops adding some extra crunch.

RedFarm-MushroomSpringrolls.jpg

The other surprising dish was the Crispy Duck Dumplings.

RedFarm-DuckDumplings.jpg

First, the dumplings were masquerading as manta rays... Second, while the crunchy pockets were indeed filled with rich duck meat, they also contained a crab claw, so the flavor was as much crab as duck. But then a dip in the excellent curry pooled between them, and they're something else altogether.

Spicy Crispy Beef was also a bit of an eye-opener. For one, the slices of beef were in fact quite crisp, even crunchy. Also, room temperature. A bit spicy, but also sweet. It's a riff on Gun Ban Niu Rou Si, but less chewy...

RedFarm-CrispyBeef.jpg

The Pac-Man Shrimp Dumplings met with good reviews from my dining companions. It's not just an amusing idea, the dumplings themselves are also tasty. And the various dumplings are not just different colors, but different-flavored as well.

RedFarm-PacMan.jpg

RedFarm-PorkLychee.jpg

A special starter of Berkshire Pork Belly was wrapped around a lychee fruit, then grilled. These were delicious, but almost overshadowed by the smoked, spicy cucumbers. The flavors of those vegetables unfolded in stages: first juicy, then smoky, then spicy.

RedFarm-Duck-Apple.jpg

Duck and Fuji Apple Wraps echoes that sweet minced chicken lettuce cup thing that's everywhere these days, but elevates it by virtue of vastly superior ingredients.

RedFarm-XLB.jpg

Crab and Pork Soup Dumplings were executed well, featuring a rich broth bundled in delicate, but durable wrappers. (There are four in an order, but I couldn't resist eating one before I remembered to photograph them...)

RedFarm-PastramiEggroll.jpg

The Katz's Pastrami Eggroll sounded a bit like a novelty, but irresistible, and it's hard to find anything wrong with excellent meat, rolled-up in a very well-made eggroll.

That's all we had room for, but because it was all so good, especially the Duck (and stealth crab) dumplings, and the mushroom springrolls, that we're looking forward to coming back to order these again, and to sample more of the menu.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Well worth a long wait on Saturday night. Had almost all the dishes described above - soup dumplings and duck dumplings (the curry it was served with was perfection) among my favorites. And the crispy beef. And the marinated ribeye. And the braised chicken. And the spring rolls.

Seriously, it was out-of-control delicious. The food had a fun and humorous element to it, and the flavors were gorgeous. There wasn't anything we didn't love.

[One in our party knows Ed, and he very generously brought several dishes out for us.]

• 10 years later...

Ed Schoenfeld, aka eGullet member @eatingwitheddie, has passed away at the age of 72.

I got this lousy news this morning.  Eddie was a character with whom I had the pleasure of dining with quite a few times.  Him cooking, me cooking, whatever.

The NY Times obit links to this eGullet post of his...

RIP, buddy.

• Sad 8

Tasty Travails - My Blog