• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Drawing' on ganache

Kim Shook

I am faking Hostess cupcakes for a party and want to add that iconic little white squiggle. I'm icing with ganache and wanted to know what to make the 'squiggles' with - I was thinking either white chocolate or a white buttercream (probably purchased, to make life easier). I'll let the ganache firm up before adding the white. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'purchased' for the icing. You can buy that kind of icing in little writer pens and that would be the quickest way to make the squiggles.

Or a chocolate pen that you sit in hot water before using. I've seen them in a confectionery supply store.

I would probably make Royal icing, put it into a snak bag, pinprick a hole in one corner and do it that way.

(I have never eaten a Hostess cupcake. Grew up before they were available in Canada. :raz: )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Shal - that's great! I am actually using marshmallow Fluff in the filling, just like they suggest.

Darienne - I meant a tub of frosting - Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, etc. I have a couple of those pens and will try them. Royal icing would probably work the best, but I don't really feel like making a batch of it for a dozen little squiggles. Thank you!