• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tahbilk Marsanne

Vanessa

A continuation of my conversation with Balic the other evening:

To my surprise I found a delivery of wine on my doorstep on returning from Sutton Arms. And when I unpacked it the next day I found it contained a bottle of the very same wine we had been drinking and talking about.

You may be interested to know that it only cost me £6.50 - and the tasting notes say it drinks to 2009, which bears out exactly what you were saying - that it shouldn't be drunk young. So that bottle goes into my garage and I will look forward to it in a couple of years or so.

v

I've been drinking this for years (ever since it was about the only Marsanne on the market) and it is excellent at any age. At the price quoted (probably Waitrose, 'cos that's where mine comes from) buy a case every year and drink a bottle every year, by 2009 you'll have enough for a vertical and some good wine in the cellar.....

I suppose its true what they say about Brits. They're simply fascinated with oxidized white wines and Champagnes. Aged, hot climate, low acid Marsanne, with a shelf life of about six minutes? Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

Sadly, I don't have the honour of being British - Australian.

Tahblik Marsanne has a low pH (about ~3. Vanessa?), not low acid.

Those people who aren't gits, some information:

Marsanne is a the a Rhone white varietal (found as a major player in white heritage). However, it is rather rare, Tahblik in Australia has the the largest and oldest plantings of this variety in the world. They make the wine in an un-oaked style, which I prefer.

When the wine is young (1-2 years) it is a simple lemony, sherberty wine, but as it ages (3-8) it developes amazing honeysuckle, straw (almost oaky) and honeyish flavours.

Adam, as our resident Australian wine expert:

While digging around at home for some white wine for an event tonight where quantity will be more important than quality, I came across another Australian marsanne - well, a marsanne/viognier mix: D'Arenburg Hermit Crab 2001. Any opinion?

v

D'Arenburg is a old Australian family owner winery in Mclaren Vale. The Osbornes have been making quality wine forever, in an old fashioned model (eg. Age for at less ten years before drinking).

However, about 8-10 years ago a younger member of the family, Chester Osborne took over as the winemaker and he has modernised and expanded the portfolio.

The wines are nearly always very good value for money, the marsanne/viognier blend should be good, at that age it should have citrusy acid sherbert tingle on the tongue and decent body (from the viognier). I'm guessing that its flavours will be in the tropical fruit-white peach spectrum. Hopefully it will be free of oak or has very little oaking.

D'Arenburg is a old Australian family owner winery in Mclaren Vale. The Osbornes have been making quality wine forever, in an old fashioned model (eg. Age for at less ten years before drinking).

However, about 8-10 years ago a younger member of the family, Chester Osborne took over as the winemaker and he has modernised and expanded the portfolio.

The wines are nearly always very good value for money, the marsanne/viognier blend should be good, at that age it should have citrusy acid sherbert tingle on the tongue and decent body (from the viognier). I'm guessing that its flavours will be in the tropical fruit-white peach spectrum. Hopefully it will be free of oak or has very little oaking.

Just the kind of informed reply I was seeking. Have a wonderful time in Chianti and bring back lots of salume. I think I have a couple of other d'Arenburg wines lurking - a chardonnay and a red - can't remember what grape variety.

v

D'Arenburg's shirazes (is that the correct plural?) have been earning lots of plaudits in the last few years. Their top shiraz, The Dead Arm, was given a phenomenally high score by Parker a year or two back, and flew off shelves as a result. It was quite sensibly priced beforehand, but became much more expensive afterwards. But the cheaper wines (The Footbolt?) are good too - I had one in a restaurant a few months back, and it reminded me why I grew to love Aussie Shiraz in the first place: full of peppery flavour. For six or seven quid a bottle, I'd strongly recommend it, especially over commercial wines such as Rosemount and Jacobs Creek at the same kind of price.

Adam

D'Arenburg's shirazes (is that the correct plural?) have been earning lots of plaudits in the last few years. Their top shiraz, The Dead Arm, was given a phenomenally high score by Parker a year or two back, and flew off shelves as a result. It was quite sensibly priced beforehand, but became much more expensive afterwards. But the cheaper wines (The Footbolt?) are good too - I had one in a restaurant a few months back, and it reminded me why I grew to love Aussie Shiraz in the first place: full of peppery flavour. For six or seven quid a bottle, I'd strongly recommend it, especially over commercial wines such as Rosemount and Jacobs Creek at the same kind of price.

Adam

I've become acquainted with the Rosemount McClaren Vale Balmoral and Love it. How's the availability on the D'Arenburg - If it's better than the Rosemount, I have to get my hands on some.

Gordon: thinking about it, I was probably a bit hasty just to say 'Rosemount' and leave it that. I really meant their entry-level lines, the stuff one sees in supermarkets at the GBP 5 level. I would say D'Arenburg is better at this sort of price point. But I gather (not from experience) that the premium Rosemount wines are pretty good - certainly the Balmoral has an excellent reputation.

But I'd repeat my original point in (I hope) slightly clearer terms - if you come across the D'Arenburg Footbolt shiraz, it's very good as an entry-level Aussie.

Adam