• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peach Freezer Jam

Sue Casey

For what its worth, in my experience all freezer jams set softer than ones that are canned. Are you using freezer jam pectin? I know the freezer jam pectin I have includes a peach freezer jam recipe on the box, which includes lemon juice -- I believe either the acid or the additional pectin in the lemon juice is necessary for the peach freezer jam to set well...

Yes I am using the freezer jam pectin. I've tried two different brands. Both I've added lemon juice and one of them I cooked the peaches just until it started to boil then continue the recipe, as suggested on the package. The boiling method produced a slightly thicker jam but not as thick as a regular jam. Maybe you're right in that freezer jam just doesn't set up like regular jam.

Strawberry freezer jam sets up perfectly - it's the only kind of strawberry jam I make now. But I never liked how peach freezer jam turned out. Instead, I'll use the cooked jam recipe on the Certo box. Seems to me that peaches need a little bit of cooking to make them right. Otherwise they leak out too much juice while not softening quite well enough. The cooked jam is only cooked for, like, a minute - so it's still a quick process.