• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuff in cannolis

Fat Guy

It seems that in Italian-American pastry shops it is almost mandatory for cannolis to include chocolate chips. Yet chocolate chips are not a traditional part of the cannoli recipe, at least I don't think they are. I've also see pistachios, and candied orange peel. Plain too.

What sorts of things have you all seen in cannolis the world over?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I really hope someone will give me the reference - I read a book that was novel style years ago and the Sicilian ones always had the chocolate, nuts, and citrus peel.

When I was a kid, the cannoli I saw in Florence were plain, or with the candied fruit/pistachios you mention, or a light brown that was either hazelnut or coffee. I don't think I saw chocolate-chip infested ones until I was about 14. Even the last time I was there, a year or so ago, they seemed mostly confined to places that didn't do much business with the locals. I also recollect seeing some cannoli with candied chestnut pieces (at Gilli, I believe).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org