• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microplane Graters

=Mark

Don't use woodworking rasp. They are made with hardened tool steel and can rust.

Try Pedicure Rasps, same thing as kitchen microplanes. May be cheaper.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

this style seems to me to be most useful 

for the home cook , it was mentioned early on in this thread :

38004_LS4-1.jpg.e76692712c6beb43ec0f15efd298cd6e.jpg

and 

eeeeee.thumb.jpg.600e7910dbb27e3b567a300cdadd37df.jpg

this version has a more comfortable hand , and might be more slip resistant w wet hands .

then there is this style :

eeee.thumb.jpg.e0db4cea4cc2f26320cc43de4049c19c.jpg

its fine , but has less functional surface , as your grating hand will hit the surface you are usinf

before you are able to use the entire grating surface / per grate.

indeed these are slightly curved.  but if you grate cheese , or other smaller items

thye item grated is conform to the grate's cure after a swipe or two.

my current  vote would be the second style pictured above 

better less slippery handle , grating area above the surface its used on.

Im surprised how cheap genuine microphone branded graters have become.

too bad I don't need any .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

P.S.:

don't over look this style , called ' ribbon '

dddd.thumb.jpg.ae38e809da82a5e1e4f33e27e78dd8c0.jpg

its a back and forth style , cutting both up and down

it produces a very fluffy grate on hard cheeses.  

not essential , but interesting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

don't over look this style , called ' ribbon

I have one of those and about the only thing that I use it for is parmesan. That is, when I can find a good chunk of Parmesan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcarch said:

Don't use woodworking rasp. They are made with hardened tool steel and can rust.

An ordinary woodworking rasp perhaps, but this is a microplane rasp. Clearly marked microplane and it is stainless steel. I've used it for over 20 years and not a trace of rust. I checked online and unfortunately microplane no longer makes woodworking microplanes. They say because of production problems but they are probably making way more profit on the ones that they make for the kitchen.

• Like 1

I have that same wood rasp.

probably.

I came from Lee Valley , Canada 

20 or more years ago.  probably mor

that one was SS  , made well before Microplane branched into the kitchen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:50 AM, Maison Rustique said:

I have the skinny type and it is increasingly difficult for me to hold onto with my arthritic hands. I'd trade it for a paddle type any day.

You can get the skinny type with a nice ergonomic handle: 

https://www.microplane.com/premium-classic-series-zester-grater-turq

This is the only kind I've ever had, but I've been pleased with it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

You can get the skinny type with a nice ergonomic handle: 

https://www.microplane.com/premium-classic-series-zester-grater-turq

This is the only kind I've ever had, but I've been pleased with it.

That's the one I have. Love it!

I'm always annoyed by bad amazon reviews. I've had this one from LeeValley or maybe BroadwayPanhandler (back in the day) for at least 20+ years. Still sharp and my go-to. Two others are dull purchased just a few years ago and one in a plastic housing cracked in just a few months. Personal choice, I avoid handles as they tend to break and harbor bacteria and rust. I still use a paddle style that lost its handle but it is a bit dull. Used it for ginger for a while but a bit of a grind to get much out of it. 

This one is effortless...

IMG_7848.jpeg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I'm always annoyed by bad amazon reviews. I've had this one from LeeValley or maybe BroadwayPanhandler (back in the day) for at least 20+ years. Still sharp and my go-to. Two others are dull purchased just a few years ago and one in a plastic housing cracked in just a few months. Personal choice, I avoid handles as they tend to break and harbor bacteria and rust. I still use a paddle style that lost its handle but it is a bit dull. Used it for ginger for a while but a bit of a grind to get much out of it. 

This one is effortless...

Mine is the same, and at least as old. It was a gift from my father (a woodworker and a big fan of Lee Valley) a year or two before we moved to Alberta, and that was in 2003.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 1/4/2024 at 10:35 AM, rotuts said:

this style seems to me to be most useful 

38004_LS4-1.jpg.e76692712c6beb43ec0f15efd298cd6e.jpg

I have had many Microplanes through the years, but this style -- the paddle with a metal handle -- is my favorite in a home kitchen. I've broken the handles off of two of the plastic ones while not being especially abusive. The metal handled one is built to last. So are the rasps (no handles means nothing to break).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2024 at 12:19 PM, btbyrd said:

I have had many Microplanes through the years, but this style -- the paddle with a metal handle -- is my favorite in a home kitchen. I've broken the handles off of two of the plastic ones while not being especially abusive. The metal handled one is built to last. So are the rasps (no handles means nothing to break).

I have a similar one with a plastic handle and an after market rakish bend to it (customized by some combination of me and the kids) it’s at least 25 years old and going strong.

That said if I was buying again, I’d look hard at one of the ones with the metal handle due to the tendency of mine to harbor gunk at the point where the grater goes into the plastic handle.

That said, microplanes occupy a rare tier for me of items I can’t imagine replacing with another manufacturer.  

• Like 1